Noob question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pilotchef71

Reaction score
ok I'm extremely new to home brewing. I have my first batch of extract beer fermenting and have been doing quite a bit of all grain research. My question is; why go to all the effort making all the false bottoms and pvc piping doo-hickeys in a mash tun cooler? Couldn't one just used large cheese cloth bags?

I know that it can't be that simple but can someone tell me why?

like I said, I'm extremely new to this, so bare with me and the dumb questions..

You could do as you suggested and use a bag. Do a search on the forum for the "brew in bag method". The main reason we opt for false bottoms, etc... is efficiency. Basically we want to get the most possible extraction from our grains and the other methods are more effective than the simple brew in a bag method.

In my 3 gallon cooler mash tun I do exactly that... I line the cooler with a 5 gallon paint strainer bag. Works pissah as we say here in the Boston area...
( I'm only doing 3 gallon AG batches for now...when the weather is warmer I'll be moving outside and using a bigger cooler with a manifold)

Back