Cooling the mash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

larrybrewer

Reaction score
Is there ever a reason to lower the temperature in a multi-rest mash? Has anybody ever seen such a mash schedule?

All the mash schedules I have seen, from Palmer and other sources are always increasing the temperature (eg 104 F, 140 F, 158 F multi-rest mash schedule).

PROST!

Only if you overshoot your target temp. Then it's scramble time.

I have never seen it as an intentional step in a mash.

My understanding was that as you pass each step the enzymes for that step get denatured by the increased heat, so going backwards would not help.

+1 Fratermus.... you denature the enzymes, once you go hot, you cannot go cooler. Mashing grain 101.

There is one mash that I know of that does this. It was poposed by Markus Hermann from the Weihenstephan brewing school in Germany and it lowers the temp to a 40C rest after the conversion rest at ~65C. This is to get maltase activity which creates glucose from maltose. This is helpful to produce glucose rich worts for ester rich weissbiers. But you have to add fresh malt to the mash as the maltase from the inital mash got denatures during the higher temp rests.

Kai

My understanding was that as you pass each step the enzymes for that step get denatured by the increased heat, so going backwards would not help.

I don't think so, its time at temperature. The longer you are at temperature, the more enzymes are denatured until finally all are. All the enzymes are not denatured instantly. I have overshoot my temperature many times and sprayed cold water to bring it down and have not had a problem denaturing all the enzymes.

Thanks guys. So there is one exception after all, and it is German no less. There is ALWAYS some exception to the rule. Glad I checked!

I know some homebrewers who use 'lazy man mashing scheme' - they dough in grains in 72-74 C, and leave it for 1-2 hours. Temperature drops slowly from ~70C to ~60C. It works, but it is not a good brewing practice, results are unpredictable. They are just lazy....

I don't think so, its time at temperature. The longer you are at temperature, the more enzymes are denatured until finally all are. All the enzymes are not denatured instantly.

I agree it is not an instantaneous function.

Back