Brewing in the rain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

g_rath

Reaction score
I was supposed to go to the last autocross race of the clubs season. However its pouring rain out, and my car sucks in the rain. So I’m making beer instead. Not having any covered out door areas makes this much harder. But in the spirit of home brewing creativeness and making do, I pulled the umbrella out of the deck table and set it free standing in its base on the deck. Here is to making beer in the rain.:mug:
Now I just need a good name for the porter. “Poring Rain Porter”? “Postponement Porter”?

I have a nice boil going now. As I was sitting out there waiting I thought of “Precipitation Porter” as well. I think I’m going to go with that.
It feels strange brewing and not drinking. But I try not to start before Noon. Oh well.

Yeah I decided to say F it and crack one open. I was only 30min early. And here is where I was brewing. Sorry its a cell phone picture.
deck2.jpg

Last time I brewed in the rain the only problem I had was that I ended up losing only .75-1gallon during a 60min boil with the lid on my kettle about 50%. So I had over 6gallons going into my primary instead of 5.5.

I'm brewing on Monday and it's been raining off an on here for a few days but Monday is supposed to be clear.

Same thing happened to me with the rain. I had to brew at the edge of the garage last weekend. Only problem I had was moving like 30 gallons of gas out of there before I felt comfortable with a propane burner going.

I've been there. I started brewing and then looked up at the sky and noticed the clouds getting pretty dark. So I set up a 10 by 10 canopy which once it started raining helped for about 10 minutes until with was all wet and dripping like crazy. So I got out my umbrella and hung out in my driveway under a leaky canopy with an umbrella over my brew pot.... it was fun :D

Ya me and the buds have had to brew just at the edge of the garage because of the rain but whatever. As long as we are brewing we are still having a great time no matter what the weather is like.

Back