what rhizome to buy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GarciasHomeBrew

Reaction score
well this is what freshops has left. i have room to plant 4 more, wich ones should i buy? i have cascade already.

Brewers Gold
Cascade
Centennial
Chinook
Fuggle
Kent Golding
Magnum
Mt. Hood
Newport
Nugget
Sterling
Sunbeam
Willamette
Zeus rhizome

I would plant Goldings, Fuggles,Chinook and Centennial. Willamette is a nice hop too and is related to Fuggles. The English varieties may do best under cooler conditions so that is something to consider.

My opinion is to get those that will provide the hop that is looking to be in short supply in the future. That is, lower Alpha varieties.

Commercial yards are rumored (some confirmed) to be favoring higher yielding High Alpha varities of hop in the coming seasons. So, I'd go with any of the C varietals (Note: Zues is a hybrid name change to Columbus/Tomahawk). Or any other favored flavoring/aroma varieties.

If you aren't intending to become self sustaining in your hoppy endeavors then I'd leave the high Alpha out as those should be widely available in the coming years.

As for me, I chose to cover the full spectrum with no less than 13 plants ranging from Low to High Alpha/ Low to High Beta.

Back