Saison Shipwrecked Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you end up trying this on tap yet?

I made the trip over to Bozeman on Friday. The Saison turned out awesome! As I mentioned back on my other post we had substituted experimental hop #05256 for the bittering addition. Sounds like they plan to re-brew it soon and keep it on tap for awhile as it is still selling really well (second only to their IPA sales now). They comp'd mine and my son's meal and drinks and wouldn't let us pay for a thing. Love that place! :mug:

IMG_20140103_120620_076.jpg

IMG_20140103_121217_067.jpg

IMG_20140103_125505_897.jpg

I made the trip over to Bozeman on Friday. The Saison turned out awesome! As I mentioned back on my other post we had substituted experimental hop #05256 for the bittering addition. Sounds like they plan to re-brew it soon and keep it on tap for awhile as it is still selling really well (second only to their IPA sales now). They comp'd mine and my son's meal and drinks and wouldn't let us pay for a thing. Love that place! :mug:

wow congrats! Should we all start calling you saison clint as well? :D

My first attempt at this recipe has been in the bottle for two weeks now, conditioning. I got into one this morning as a test sample, and wound up drinking three more. :D

It needs at least another week to reach the carbonation level I'm aiming for, and a month or so of aging would definitely improve the flavor - but it's good already. My main problem is going to be staying out of it long enough to find out how good it can get.

I have another batch fermenting right now, and didn't have the problems with a balky mill turning out enough flour to stick my sparge. So It'll probably be even better. I'm thinking of sending it (and maybe even the previous one) to a competition. Not because I expect to win, but because it would be useful to get some quality, informed feedback. The closest to useful feedback I've gotten so far is, "dang, Adolph. That's good stuff!" None of my BMC-drinking friends seem to be a bit averse to appreciating something new....

Brew day was a success! I ended up doing the full 90 minute boil and hit my numbers perfect. Finished with 6 gallons of 1.069 wort, soon to be saison. Cant wait for this one :D

Brew day was a success! I ended up doing the full 90 minute boil and hit my numbers perfect. Finished with 6 gallons of 1.069 wort, soon to be saison. Cant wait for this one :D

Grats on a job well done.

I'm hoping to cook up my second batch of Shipwreck tomorrow morning (Tuesday), if life doesn't get in the way....

Fermenting away nicely. Started it at 70 and been ramping it up a degree a day. Its at 74 now and smells amazing! Im going to start bumping it up 2 degrees a day to finish out primary fermentation hot :D

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1392818444.153996.jpg

Fermenting away nicely. Started it at 70 and been ramping it up a degree a day. Its at 74 now and smells amazing! Im going to start bumping it up 2 degrees a day to finish out primary fermentation hot :D

Hotter the better :mug: I wouldn't hesitate one bit to get it to the mid-80s. Good luck!

How long did everyone leave this in primary? I want to bottle as soon as possible, but dont want to rush it if leaving it at hot temps for another week will do it good.

I'm in on this one. Gonna try and brew in a couple of weeks. So I have a temp controlled freezer, do I just get my space heater and hook that to a temp controller to get it up to, what, 80deg? My wife will freak out about this fire hazard. Other methods? I don't have a heater belt. I live in florida and most days its now in the 70s outside. Could I just chuck it outside? It still gets pretty cool in the evenings.

I'm in on this one. Gonna try and brew in a couple of weeks. So I have a temp controlled freezer, do I just get my space heater and hook that to a temp controller to get it up to, what, 80deg? My wife will freak out about this fire hazard. Other methods? I don't have a heater belt. I live in florida and most days its now in the 70s outside. Could I just chuck it outside? It still gets pretty cool in the evenings.

Id use the space heater. Most of the ones now-a-days have automatic shutoffs if they get too hot/run too long, to prevent fires and such. I am currently using the space heater method in a fridge with this beer and it works great. I pitched at 70 degrees, bumped it up one degree a day for 4 days, then 2 degrees everyday until I hit 82.

I had a crack at this one over the weekend. A couple of small mishaps:

I heated up some extra water to pre-heat the mash tun, with the intent of discarding that before doing the mash but got distracted and instead threw it all in at once so it's a bit dilute.

Fought with a stuck sparge (and won)

Swapped the saaz for motueka but forgot to adjust for the extra %AA.

The bloody spice grinder wouldn't grind the coriander seeds too well, so I expect they didn't add a huge amount of flavour.

Failed to seal the FV lid properly for the first 2 days (new bucket with a different lid to what I'm used to. I got it sealed properly before the active bubbling stopped so there was a positive pressure inside).

But after all that, I can say I have plenty of what appears to be wort in an FV, it had an OG of 1.057, it's being eaten by some proper saison yeast from Wyeast, it's sitting at ambient temps which here are mid-80s and it's bubbling away nicely. :ban:

I had a crack at this one over the weekend. A couple of small mishaps:

I heated up some extra water to pre-heat the mash tun, with the intent of discarding that before doing the mash but got distracted and instead threw it all in at once so it's a bit dilute.

Fought with a stuck sparge (and won)

Swapped the saaz for motueka but forgot to adjust for the extra %AA.

The bloody spice grinder wouldn't grind the coriander seeds too well, so I expect they didn't add a huge amount of flavour.

Failed to seal the FV lid properly for the first 2 days (new bucket with a different lid to what I'm used to. I got it sealed properly before the active bubbling stopped so there was a positive pressure inside).

But after all that, I can say I have plenty of what appears to be wort in an FV, it had an OG of 1.057, it's being eaten by some proper saison yeast from Wyeast, it's sitting at ambient temps which here are mid-80s and it's bubbling away nicely. :ban:

I don't think failing to seal the FV lid is an issue at all, especially for the first two days. With my saisons, I leave the lid on loosely until the krausen has fallen and then snap it in place. Many breweries have seen the benefit of open fermentation with saisons. Although at the homebrew level, it may not make any real difference, as there isn't enough pressure on the yeast in a 5-gallon fermenter. At the same time, it's not going to hurt to not seal the lid.

I don't think failing to seal the FV lid is an issue at all, especially for the first two days. With my saisons, I leave the lid on loosely until the krausen has fallen and then snap it in place. Many breweries have seen the benefit of open fermentation with saisons. Although at the homebrew level, it may not make any real difference, as there isn't enough pressure on the yeast in a 5-gallon fermenter. At the same time, it's not going to hurt to not seal the lid.

Indeed. Thats the story, in theory, but the theory doesn't include the added factor of dogs licking the bucket!

But I jest - I'm pretty sure it will be fine. My only true concern is that it will be watery, but it will still be beer.

I have the opposite problem with mine. The recipe I put together based on this had an OG of 1.069 which I hit. I didnt expect the yeast to attenuate so much though, and ended up with an imperial saison at 8.3% :drunk:

The samples didnt seem dry at all actually. Yesterday it was at 1.006, but I would not have thought that from the taste.

Get them in bottles so you can send me one fins !

Haha I cant wait to! How long did you let it ferment before bottling? I tried another sample yesterday and I have to say it was oddly similar to tank7. I did differ from the recipe a little though but its still great.

Haha I cant wait to! How long did you let it ferment before bottling? I tried another sample yesterday and I have to say it was oddly similar to tank7. I did differ from the recipe a little though but its still great.

I didn't secondary I did about 3 - 3.5 weeks in primary and then bottled :mug:

Yeah I could have bottled sooner although it never hurts to wait either. I was just busy at the time. With your temp control etc you can easily reach your FG in a week though. I actually brewed a saison (different recipe) a few weeks back and just put it in the fridge to crash last night. Going to keg it tonight. All Falconer's Flight hops and dry hopped. Brewed with Pilner, oats, and wheat. Can hardly wait!

1.jpg

Thats a heck of a beer fridge you have there! I do plan to use two gallons of this saison to try my first attempts at bretts/sours. Im going to rack to a one gallon fermenter and use crooked stave dreggs for one and use a russian river/ goose island brett dreggs for the other. I should still get close to 3.5 gallons bottled of the regular though. I can already tell from the samples i will be brewing this again, soon!

Id use the space heater. Most of the ones now-a-days have automatic shutoffs if they get too hot/run too long, to prevent fires and such. I am currently using the space heater method in a fridge with this beer and it works great. I pitched at 70 degrees, bumped it up one degree a day for 4 days, then 2 degrees everyday until I hit 82.

Thanks finsfan, I'll give that a try. Btw, are you a dolphin fan? I've been a lifelong fan unfortunately myself.

Has anyone experimented with adding citrus zest or coriander to the primary? If so, what were the results and how what kind of quantities?

Brewed this a 10 days ago and already at 1.008. Gotta love them yeasties!

Can't wait to get this on keg!

Brewed this up a month ago as a gift for a friend before he moved.. Unfortunately I had some trouble with the 3724, ended up repitching and still only got down to 1.014 from 1.07 before I had to cut it short for him.

Great saison flavor, just obviously too malty and not dry enough. Figured since it's a local recipe I'd serve in a local glass, out of my Bayern Brewing (also local) tap ;)
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1395261105.504390.jpg

Brewed this up a month ago as a gift for a friend before he moved.. Unfortunately I had some trouble with the 3724, ended up repitching and still only got down to 1.014 from 1.07 before I had to cut it short for him.

Great saison flavor, just obviously too malty and not dry enough. Figured since it's a local recipe I'd serve in a local glass, out of my Bayern Brewing (also local) tap ;)
View attachment 186990

If you plan to do this again, try to use 3726. I got down to 1.006 no problem and the taste is amazing. AIH should still have some.

EDIT: They do and it should be fresh. When I ordered mine, they had to wait on Wyeast to make it, but it was only 2 weeks old when I got it.

http://www.homebrewing.org/3726-PC-Farmhouse-Ale-Yeast_p_2235.html

If you plan to do this again, try to use 3726. I got down to 1.006 no problem and the taste is amazing. AIH should still have some.

EDIT: They do and it should be fresh. When I ordered mine, they had to wait on Wyeast to make it, but it was only 2 weeks old when I got it.

http://www.homebrewing.org/3726-PC-Farmhouse-Ale-Yeast_p_2235.html

My LHBS doesn't generally carry saison yeast, however I got lucky when I stopped by the other day and found both a pack of 3711 and a wlp568 and I ordered a packet of belle saison. I'll probably rebrew this a few more times and see if I can improve my luck. I need to actually get a temp controller to monitor my temp better

My LHBS doesn't generally carry saison yeast, however I got lucky when I stopped by the other day and found both a pack of 3711 and a wlp568 and I ordered a packet of belle saison. I'll probably rebrew this a few more times and see if I can improve my luck. I need to actually get a temp controller to monitor my temp better

Summer sun has got a few saison yeasts in stock normally. The 3726-pc is a once a year release only from wyeast though. Are you in the local homebrew club zoo city zymurgists bulldog?

Summer sun has got a few saison yeasts in stock normally. The 3726-pc is a once a year release only from wyeast though. Are you in the local homebrew club zoo city zymurgists bulldog?

I've gotten lucky a few times at summer sun, I've found saison yeasts three times over the last few months last time I was there I snagged a few to plan recipes around. I'm not, I actually was checking out their website the other night.. Are you a member?

This recipe looks fantastic, I have been looking to make a saison next, I might give this one a try! I have to ask, OP what is the beer in your avatar?? I love the burnt orange color, I had the stone smoked saison a couple weeks back with that color, and I would love to replicate it in mine.

I've gotten lucky a few times at summer sun, I've found saison yeasts three times over the last few months last time I was there I snagged a few to plan recipes around. I'm not, I actually was checking out their website the other night.. Are you a member?
I am a member we are having a club get together / party tomorrow if you want to join. Join the zoo city zymurgists group on facebook would be the easiest way to make contact.

I am a member we are having a club get together / party tomorrow if you want to join. Join the zoo city zymurgists group on facebook would be the easiest way to make contact.

I'll check out the Facebook page, wish I could tomorrow... I'll be working all day though unfortunately!

A month in, it's down to 1.020. Getting bored waiting :p
It's been in the 80's here and it's got a heat mat. Bloody lazy French yeasties!

Back