Who Else is Brewing on Columbus Day?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RLinNH

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Yessur! I work for Local 33, out of Boston, MA. So you know we have Columbus day off. A day off is a day to Brew. Here's what I am brewing...
Hallow's Eve Automn Auburn Ale

3.3 Lbs Munich Malt Extract Syrup
4 Lbs British 2 Row
1.1 lbs Wheat DME
8 oz Caramel Wheat Malt
8 oz Biscuit Malt
4 oz 10L Crystal Malt
2 oz Chocolate Wheat Malt
2 oz Dehusked Carafa III Malt
1/2 oz Syrian Golding Hops(bittering)
1/2 oz WILIAMETTE hOPS(BITTERING)
1/2 oz Kent Golding Hops(bittering)
1/2 oz Kent Golding Hops(bittering and flavor, 20 minutes)
1/2 oz Kent Golding Hops(Dry Hop)
1/2 oz wiliamette Hops(Dry Hops)
Wyeast 1187

That's about the look of tomorrow's Partial Mash. Who else is going to spend the day around a Brew Pot?:mug:

P.S.- Recipe came from my LHBS in Nashua, NH. Jasper's, to be exact.:)

I got the day off but I am not brewing, I have to finish trim work before the in-laws get here this weekend. :( Have fun Brewing though.

Cheers

I have to work on columbus day, so Saturday night like usual will be brewing and bottling night.

Dead Guy Clone

13oz Belgiun Cara-Munich
13oz German Munich
7oz US Crystal 40 deg L

Steep grains in a bag at 155 degrees. Sparge with 1/2 gallon 170 degree water. Allow grains to drip into pot, but don't squeeze. Discard grains. Bring to a boil and add:

4lbs Alexanders Pale LME
4LBS LDME
(I substituted all XLDME)

1 oz perle 60 mins
1/4 oz perle 30 minutes
1/4 oz perle 5 mins
1/4 oz saaz 5 mins.

1 tsp Irish Moss 15 minutes

I used pacman yeast. If pacman is not available, try 1056 (American Ale yeast).

Will be bottling a batch of Orfy's Hobgoblin and 5 gallons of Edworts Apfelwein.

I'm about 30 min into my mash, doing a Celebration Ale clone.

12lb 2 row
1 lb 40l crystal
.5lb 60l crystal
.5lb carapils
1oz Chinook 60min
1oz cascades 15 min
1oz Cascade flame out
WL060 American Ale
dry hopping in secondary with .5 oz Cascades

see how this turns out. I'm also reroofing an entrence to my basement while I'm mashed in.

I'll tell you what I'm brewing...I'm brewing up a meaty deuce as I sit here at work in my shirt, tie and dress pants. My wife gets the day off...lucky ho.

Fuggin lazy union bastards. Here in the real working world, we get paid based on the services that we provide, rather than what a group of organized lawyers negotiate. As such, stupid holidays like columbus day are like any other day.

Enjoy your brew day, though.

In honor of columbus day i am thinking of brewing my "gave the indians the clap pale ale"

j/k

brewed yesterday.

Evan! said:
Fuggin lazy union bastards. Here in the real working world, we get paid based on the services that we provide, rather than what a group of organized lawyers negotiate. As such, stupid holidays like columbus day are like any other day.

Enjoy your brew day, though.

Go Union!!! BTW, I'd Sheet Rock and Frame circles around your Rat Ass.:rockin:

Just Mashed in about 5 minutes ago. Looking forward to trying this one in about 8 weeks.

20 minutes left in my Boil. My new lautering mainfold worked AWESOME!!! I'll be posting pics of it this evening. I know everyone has seen one, but I am so damned proud of it.:fro:

So I finally got doughed in at 7:00 PM. We're switching to a night schedule at work for the winter, so this is gonna be a great way to begin adjusting the body clock!

I love the way chocolate malt smells in the grist!

AH Yeeeees. The Shift swings. One of the many things I DO NOT miss about Law Enforcement. Good luck on your brew session mah HBT Bruddah!!!:fro:

5 hours later - just cleaning up. About to pitch some rehydrated S-04.

Missed the OG by 10 points. Garbage efficiency. I got lazy with this brew - didn't hook up the steam, used an undermodified base malt in place of a few pounds of 2-row (Bohemian pilsner that needed to either get thrown out or used). Guess I learned my lesson. Oh well, it'll probably finish lower than the BeerSmith estimated FG, so I'll still get 8% ABV or better.

Just checked on the fermenter - this is the most active fermentation I've had to date! The blow off tube is blowing a constant machine gun stream of BIG bubbles!

Couldn't resist a small sample - this stuff tastes GOOD!

Back