Brewtarget 2.0 Update

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Absorption rate = Total water used - (Preboil volume (100C/212F) / 1.043841336 ) 1.043841336 being the thermal expansion coefficient at boil temp.

For the mash editor, unfortunately there's some inaccuracies here due to the nature of slide rulers. The easiest way that I can think of for BIAB full volume is to click mash designed, enter your mash temp as the mash tun temp, then move the Infusion/Decoction Amount slider over until the Total Collected Wort = 100%.

Man I hate to be a PITA... I just played around with Brewtarget for 30 minutes, searched the "interwebs" for BIAB & mash set up - then read through the manual for the - who knows how many times.

Every source talks about the same "slider" you mention but I see no slider anywhere...even after trying to create a new mash profile per the manual. No slider that I ever see, anywhere. My version is 2.3.0. Is there another update out there?

Is there somewhere else I can look to walk me through this set up for BIAB full volume mash?

Do you know anyone who can give me screen shots of their working settings?

Thank you again!

Cheers!

pricelessbrewing...

I set down this afternoon and went step by step via the manual and finally figured out where the "sliders" you and everyone else were talking about.

Thanks for your help!

I think I just might get this to work!

Cheers!

Man I hate to be a PITA... I just played around with Brewtarget for 30 minutes, searched the "interwebs" for BIAB & mash set up - then read through the manual for the - who knows how many times.

Every source talks about the same "slider" you mention but I see no slider anywhere...even after trying to create a new mash profile per the manual. No slider that I ever see, anywhere. My version is 2.3.0. Is there another update out there?

Is there somewhere else I can look to walk me through this set up for BIAB full volume mash?

Do you know anyone who can give me screen shots of their working settings?

Thank you again!

Cheers!

HAHA np man. I understand, I'm hoping to get the team to make it a bit more user friendly, especially the mash interface. Currently there are two ways to create a mash process, the mash designed, and the mash wizard. One has the sliders, the other does not.

I use the Mash Des. Button, and have with good success.

I like being able to see total collected wort (approx).

Using the software, have for almost a year now. Haven't had too many issues.

Not entirely certain but it looks like the strike temp may be high. 4lb of Marris Otter into the cooler, 2.25 gal of water. It calculated 171 degrees, but after the hour mash it was still at 162. I have the numbers plugged in for the cooler, maybe it just insulates better than expected?

Not entirely certain but it looks like the strike temp may be high. 4lb of Marris Otter into the cooler, 2.25 gal of water. It calculated 171 degrees, but after the hour mash it was still at 162. I have the numbers plugged in for the cooler, maybe it just insulates better than expected?

Need to know the desired mash temp as well.

Did you preheat your mashtun? There is a property in the equipment editor called mass and Specific heat, this relates to how much thermal energy the mashtun itself will absorb from the strike water before an equilibrium is reached.

I tried specific heat of .4, instead of the default .39, either way still shoots way high. I have a 5gal Igloo cooler from Lowe's. Both the grain and the cooler are home temp (74f) prior to mash, and I input 154 as the desired temp. I ran another strike calc and it came in way lower. Like 161. I noticed I have to click in the slider for the temp to calculate (Mash Des), if I use the arrow keys it doesn't adjust.

Hi all,

Just started trying to use this software and I am getting stuck on volumes.

1. According to my rough calculations I need to add 8.1 litres of sparge water for a boil volume of 25 litres. Brewtarget says 7 litres.
2. I use 4 litres of added water after the boil in the equipment profile, my calculations also use 4 litres but my rough calculation does not account for volume loss to liquid absorption by the hops.

I have added an equipment profile as follows:

Pre-boil volume --------------- 25 litres
Batch Size --------------------- 25 litres (what I want to see in the fermenter)
Boil time ----------------------- 1 hour
Evap rate ---------------------- 3 litres
Kettle top up ------------------- 0 (this appears to be in addition to any sparging)
Final top up -------------------- 4 litres (needed to bump the post boil volume up to 26 litres in the fermenter)
Grain absorp ------------------- 1.085
Kettle to Fermenter losses --- 1 litre
Lauter deadspace ------------- 0 (Braumeister mashes and boils in the same vessel)

This is based on the following (very rough) calculation
Initial water vol ---------- 23.0 litres (It suits me and works well in the Braumeister)
GrainMass -----------------5.64 Kg (just an example)
Grain absorp -------------- 1.085 (same as above)
Grain Losses -------------- 6.1 litres
Wort Vol ------------------ 16.9 litres (after mash, before sparge)
Sparge -------------------- 8.1 litres
Boil Vol ------------------- 25.0 litres (same as above)
Boil Losses --------------- 3.0 litres (same as above)
Post Boil ------------------ 22.0 litres
Hop Losses --------------- ?? litres
Kettle Losses ------------- 1.0 (same as above)
Initial Fermenter Vol ---- 21.0 litres
Added Water ------------- 4.0 litres (into the fermenter)
Final Fermenter Vol ----- 25.0 litres (same as above)

When I put the recipe into Brewtarget I have to set the sparge volume to 7 litres (1.1 litres less) in order to get a calculated boil size to 25.168 litres. I also get a calculated batch size of 25.168 which as noted above is what I would expect only if I ignore liquid absorbed by the hops.

Brewtarget says:
Calculated batch size --- 25.168 litres
Calculated boil size ----- 25.168 litres

The recipe is :
Pale Ale Malt ------- 4.9 Kg
Pale Wheat Malt --- 250 g
Biscuit Malt ---------175 g
Crystal 10L -------- 175 g
Crystal 40L -------- 140 g
Sugar --------------- 1.2 Kg (in the boil)

Challenger --------- 70 g - 60 mins
Fuggles ------------ 40 g - 10 mins
Kent Goldings ----- 45 g - 0 mins
Cascade ----------- 45 g - dry
Fuggles ------------ 45 g - dry
Kent Goldings ----- 45 g - dry

With a mash schedule of :
52 deg C ---- 23 litres ---- 10 mins
65 deg C ---- 0 litres ----- 60 mins
78 deg C ---- 0 litres ----- 5 mins
78 deg C ---- 7 litres ----- Sparge

Anyone got any ideas?