Home brewing in Japan

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well yes and no.

They do have a website;

http://www.ohnishishoji.co.jp/

but that is not where to go...

They are Weyerman's Japanese reps. They specialize in flour, sugars etc. and are not really a web based sort of store in the sense of say Sakeland or Advanced Brewing is; the place to go is to the web site of the maltster, look under wholesalers, find your country, look up and there you are!

There is no online ordering form.

Are we the only 2 interested in a group buy?
I would like to follow up on my contact with the company
and buy some base malts too.
I will PM you.

bf

Sorry to hijack, but does anyone know of a good place to get a used keg? If possible I'd like to avoid spending an absurd amount... but hey... I'm in Tokyo so maybe it's shouganai.

Are we the only 2 interested in a group buy?

I would like to follow up on my contact with the company

and buy some base malts too.

I will PM you.

bf

What malts are you looking at? I'd love to get my hands on some of their Special W... (It's basically exactly like Special B)

Edit: not a full bag! If anybody wants to split it, let me know!

In decreasing order of purchase probability (Well, 1&2 are certain):

(Weyermann® Malts)

Extra Pale Premium Pilsener (1.2~1.4L)
or
Weyerman Pilsner Malt (1.5~2.1L)

Cara-pils
--------------------------------------------------
Pale Wheat Malt
---------------------------------------------------
4. Other CARA~ etc.

Carahell (8.1-11.8 L)
Cara-Wheat (38-49 L)
Caramunich malt Type II (42-49 L)
Diastatic Wheat Malt (1.7-2.4 L)
Floor-Malted Bohemian Wheat Malt (1.6-2.5 L)
Melandoidin Malt (23~31 L)

This list will probably endure;
I may make it into a sort of signature to remind that small quantities of these are being hunted.

Blue-Frog

Yeah, I'm trying my first sour this week, though it will be a sour mash, followed with a regular fermentation. Not ready to step up to the bugs yet (not sure I have the patience).

Fencdar I think we talked at the hanami about barrels? I have a little rum barrel that might hold 3/4 liters but it is dried and needs to be rinsed out and reconditioned. Someone, maybe you - suggested throwing wine in it for a while. I will probably do that, buy table wine and fill it up and let the wine take a beating. I don't expect to get much flavors from the wood itself, but in the long run I hope that I can make use of it for sours.

Nope that was totally not me. That sounds like a cool project, though. I've got a feeler out that emails me with homebrewing-related stuff on Rakuten... there are a LOT of old wine barrels on there, if anyone is interested.

I would be interested in joining in on a group buy.

Map710, and any other local thirsty brewers,

Do any of the following (see below) sound like something you might be interested in?

If yes, please contact me or surface here so we can move forward.

Thanks

Map710, and any other local thirsty brewers,

Do any of the following (see below) sound like something you might be interested in?

If yes, please contact me or surface here so we can move forward.

Thanks

Hey Blue Frog, where are you in Nagano? I've got a cabin in Nojiri. I'm up there all the time. Maybe we can hookup sometime.

Nagano shi.

(So, like the "Big Apple"... which, curiously, you can see if you visit here, it's Nagano, Nagano.)

I can't place you exactly... I get different "nojiri's" when I search
but either 15 miles or 3hours away... either way I do think we could work it out!

Feel free to PM me.
I have trouble logging on to homebrewtalk so we need to switch over to email asap.

I looked at your posts and saw something about a shop and sawdust... whats that about?

BF
:mug:

Guys, I am starting to plan a homebrew meetup in Yokosuka. The place has more than a dozen taps of Japanese craft beer available and the BBQ is really good and there is a ton of space for the meetup. I am thinking of the 14th, 15th, 17th, 21st, or 22nd. Preferences? Opinions? Location would be Nawlins BBQ House, not far from Yokosukachuo station. It will be open to anyone who is interested in homebrewing, Japanese and English speakers alike.

Guys, I am starting to plan a homebrew meetup in Yokosuka. The place has more than a dozen taps of Japanese craft beer available and the BBQ is really good and there is a ton of space for the meetup. I am thinking of the 14th, 15th, 17th, 21st, or 22nd. Preferences? Opinions? Location would be Nawlins BBQ House, not far from Yokosukachuo station. It will be open to anyone who is interested in homebrewing, Japanese and English speakers alike.

ANY day is BEER day!!!! Date and time... all is good. :mug:

Just letting you guys know I will count up votes and decide a date tonight. I decided to skip this weekend to give enough heads up for everyone, so if you voted for the 15th you can either change your vote or I will transfer that vote to the next sunday.

I have a 4-way tie at the moment, so if you haven't voted yet please do so by tonight. If you have voted on one of the other mediums (Facebook - Tokyo homebrewers, or in person) that would be enough. You can PM me your vote you'd like.

Cheers!
B
PS I will bring my Chili beer

OK, did a count of other sources and looks like Sunday the 22nd is the winner with 5 votes.
Looking forward to it! I will post details in a short message when I have things sorted out.
Cheers!
B

Very awesome indeed!! I lived there for 14 years and couldn't find ONE homebrewer anywhere. I'll keep creeping this thread and I looked for you guys on Facebook with no luck? I'd love to follow and keep up. I'll send a guy your way that should/will start homebrewing.

So I am planning to start this meetup around 2 pm so there is plenty of time to drink and get back home and for those who work the next day they'd have time to recover.
I will bring my Jays Peach Ghost Chili English Ale for any who care to partake.
Cheers!
B

So sorry 2 B sew alt of it. If only Tokyo was in my pocket...

Hope you all had fun!

(B - bytheway
you mentioned ghost pepper... humm maybe you know a lot about peppers?

I was making some indian curries recently and two questions came up... I was wondering if you might know...

What does " green pepper" refer to? Are they available here?
One Rx stated to remove seeds for a milder curry, but the only green peppers I can find myself are ししと at the grocery store and Jalepenos at "subway" resturants.

In haste I bought a "green pepper plant famous in Kansai", but later noticed it said "sweet meaty fruit".... Any idea which Japanese pepper would be the best match for Indian cooking?

The other question is sort of an English language /cook question:
Does everybody call powdered (spicy hot) red peppers "powdered red pepper" & avoid calling it "red chili powder"? (the spice mixture)?

When reading recipes frome around the world, I often lose my confidence that "red chili powder" means the spice mixture and not simply the powdered pepper
---
Anyways, I would have tried the ghost!

It was a good time Blue-Frog! We ended up having 15 people altogether, including a few surprises. 2 Japanese ladies who brew came down from Tokyo, one of them was the very first home-brewer I met in Japan so it was really good to catch up a bit. Looking forward to doing it again sometime, perhaps even just have a set time every month so we can plan meetings months in advance?

A friend brought a regulator for me to the meeting, so now I have my CO2 tank connected to gas and am starting to organize my fittings and dream of a kegarator... At least for now I can use the gas to purge head spaces, and with my PET bottle caps, force carbonate in pop bottles. It will get me drinking home brew when it is done fermenting rather than wait for 3 weeks to bottle condition, and reduce any risk of oxidation. Who knows when I will get refrigeration - from October-March I can use the house to drink cellar-temp beer ;) That happens to coincide with most of my brewing anyway.

Chilis, I would have guessed green pepper would be a "piman" or green bell pepper. Shishido is probably your best bet for Japanese fresh plants, but head over to chililover.com and see tons of varieties you can order with free shipping. I get my super-hots started in December/January.

Chili powder should be the one with the cumin/garlic mixed in, while powdered chili should be just ground red chili peppers? Lots of recipe writers get that mixed up, but chili powder was invented in texas so you shouldn't see it in indian recipes at all.

That all sounds wonderful!

Having fixed dates (with a dose of flexibility) would probably be empowering for a lot of people.

I used shi****o and enjoyed 4 mild curries.

Didn't know that about chili powder being from Texas; should've though.
But your logic is the same as mine, I figured they would be using powdered chilli, but I wanted a mild curry so it was ok to go the mild route in either case, so I used CP in the Texan sense. Worked out well.

Pet bottle... so do you have one of those PET-bottle carbonator attachment doo-hickeys?

Were you on duty that day or were you free the whole time?

BF

Hey all,

I have been away for awhile for work but now that I am back the wife and I are going to head up north to climb Mt. Fuji. We will be staying in Tokyo and will have at least one whole day to kill there. I have never been to Tokyo ( has only taken me 3 years to finally to go ) so I was wondering if anyone has any idea of where to go that is beer related? Such as an awesome pub, brewery, or just a bar with some really good beer. Thanks in advance for any help you give in advance.

-J.J.-

Hey all,

I have been away for awhile for work but now that I am back the wife and I are going to head up north to climb Mt. Fuji. We will be staying in Tokyo and will have at least one whole day to kill there. I have never been to Tokyo ( has only taken me 3 years to finally to go ) so I was wondering if anyone has any idea of where to go that is beer related? Such as an awesome pub, brewery, or just a bar with some really good beer. Thanks in advance for any help you give in advance.

-J.J.-

There are several places to hit if you have time. Devil Craft, Popeye's, GoodBeer Faucets, Watering Hole, and Craft Beer Market.

I know that Devilcraft and Popeye accept CC.

BF, when will you be in town? Maybe we could meet up. It's always a pleasure to meet other homebrewers!

No current plans, but the last week of July is one possibility I am looking at...

Whenever it is, I will let you know.
(Warning: It might be after the summerheat!)

UPDATED 7/15:
THIS EVENT WAS JUST CANCELLED. ALL I KNOW IS THAT I WAS TOLD TO REMOVE ALL ADS.

SORRY:(

Hello everyone! My husband is a home brewer and he turned me on to this website. I hope it's okay to post this?

Our base is having an Oktoberfest and part of the celebration is a Home Brewers Contest.

I'm sure we have a lot of active duty, vets and base employees on this forum. Anyone who can get on base is welcome to enter the contest and come to the event. You're also welcome to bring your Japanese and non-ID holding friends to the event.

http://mwryokosuka.wordpress.com/recreation/entertainment-special-events/

Have a great day :)

Jessica :rockin:

Wow, that is cool. Hope it is well attended. No military so I can't attend. Is it open to sending beers into?

Back