Shank Length?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

landhoney

Reaction score
When purchasing a shank is the length listed the total length or the max width the shank will fit through. Basically, I have 3/4" wall thickness/tower - what is the minimum length shank I need. Will a 2" shank be ok, or will it be too short? Thanks.

LOL. Like purchasing a skank?
Anyway......if its the total length, how do know what the max width of material it will close(fit on either side, right?) around? The nut needs some threads to screw onto and faucet coupling takes up some of the total length - why don't they list the widths it will fit? Help!

Sweet. Thanks for the link. I've been looking at micromatic, you'd think they'd provide that info right? Nope. So if I've got 3/4" to pass through and subtract the 1" for the collar and nut - I've got an 'extra' 1/4" of an inch? Do you think that's too little? Micromatic only has stainless in a 2" , the 2 1/2" is not stainless and the next step up in stainless is 3 1/8" which is longer than I want. I'd like stainless - do you guys think its important in a skank...I mean shank? ;)

I think 1/4" is plenty as long as micromatic and MoreBeer are using the same intial description. But, I guess you you be fine either way. Worst case you would get a shank that spans 2".

You mean -worst case it won't fit and I'll have a shank I can't use? If the wall is 3/4" then I've only got a 1/4" leeway. If the micromatic one loses much more than 1" for the collar and nut, I won't be able to secure the skank....I mean shank;) . Is this joke old - yes.

Here is a pic of a three inch shank next to a tape. It is suitable for a wall around 1 1/2", hope this helps.

8240-100_0708.JPG

HighPlainsDrifter said:
Here is a pic of a three inch shank next to a tape. It is suitable for a wall around 1 1/2", hope this helps.

8240-100_0708.JPG

Wow -did you take that pic for me? Thanks. I guess 2" is pushing it, I'll probably just go with the 3 1/8" and deal with it. Also, how important do you feel going with the stainless would be?

landhoney said:
Wow -did you take that pic for me? Thanks. I guess 2" is pushing it, I'll probably just go with the 3 1/8" and deal with it. Also, how important do you feel going with the stainless would be?

I already had the pic. I use chrome plated brass personally simply to save $$$. I'm sure that stainless is a little better but I personally don't believe that the benefits justify the increase in price. I get mine from here:
http://www.servu-online.com/servUSearch.aspx?tSearch=shanks

Prices are the best I've seen, but shipping can be slow.

stainless would be good for certain things in particular, such as wines, meads, and ciders, which are more corrosive to the plating, but stainless is ok.

Back