Chocolate vanilla stout additions question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fasttimes

Reaction score
I've got a chocolate stout that I brewed just about 3 weeks ago sitting in the primary. I added some Ghirardelli baking powder to the last 5 min of the boil and I'm assuming it's now settled down into the primary with the rest of the trub. I'm about to add two additions to this beer, 6 oz of cocoa nubs and two split/scraped vanilla beans both of which are sitting in some vodka right now. My question is should I transfer this beer to a secondary and then add these additions to the secondary? Or should I continue to let the beer sit on the trub in the primary and just add these additions on top of it? I have never used a secondary, choosing to let the trub finish off the beer. But I'm a little concernd that the baking powder from the boil may be adding too much bitterness with the amount of time I'm allowing it to sit in there? What do you think?

Back