Blew my top!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ironhorse

Reaction score
Alright I'm on the road for a few days and I just put my beer in the first fermentor before I left. My wife calls me tonight and says she could smell beer in the basement (best smell ever!) and looking at the air lock had blown off and there was minimal overflow. Then she said she couldn't find the cork for the top. Is my beer going to be ruined? I never left my beer "open" like this before. She says its bubbling away, but it will be 2 days before I can get home and put the airlock back on.
Side note: The beer before this was a Belgian Strong Ale (kit Diablo) and I doubled the kit. ( 2 cans) and the top never blew or flowed over. This batch that did was a Belgian Tripple which did.

IronHorse HomeBrewery
Drinking: Belgian Diablo Manifiest
Primary: Belgian Tripple Trouble

In the very least, have her sanitize/boil something to lay loosly over the hole so that something doesn't fall in it. Like have her boil the smallest stock pot lid you have in the biggest pot you have. When its cool enough to get out of the water, put it over the opening.

feedthebear said:
In the very least, have her sanitize/boil something to lay loosly over the hole so that something doesn't fall in it. Like have her boil the smallest stock pot lid you have in the biggest pot you have. When its cool enough to get out of the water, put it over the opening.

I second that...

Back