The [Horribly Unpopular] Soccer Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm kinda new to this, but aren't all the top 5-6 teams pretty much owned by entitled rich kids?

I'm not a big a Chelsea fan but admit I do enjoy watching Hazard and Willian. Anyone know if Willian is staying or moving?

I believe Slick Willie is on his way out. With the emergence of CHO & the inclusion of Pulisic, Slick Willie's days are numbered. Not sure if you saw the last match, but he came off the pitch & pouted for being subbed off. Just keep your Blue Flag flying high & you will be cool & the gang with me. Cheers!!!!

As has been discussed on this thread before:

It's telling that all the Chelsea glory memes floating out there start when Abromovich bought the club and dumped gobs of Russian mob I mean oil money into the club. Prior to that they were inconsistent at best and rubbish at worst. "F*** off Chelsea FC, you ain't got no history".

Manchester City is even moreso. Before Sheik Mansour bought the club they were straight rubbish. Lower league rubbish. Then almost immediately become one of the best clubs in the world.

Manchester United and Liverpool have long stories of continued success, and have built it, not bought it with a rich benefactor. Arsenal less so, and they tend to cheat and f*** over London rivals after forcing their way into North London, but apart from fans just as insufferable as Liverpool, if they f***ed off back to Woolwich I'd hate em a lot less.

Spurs are, well, Spurs. Aspiring to be the Liverpool and ManU of old, and do things the right way.

Well I, for one, am hurt by that :) .

Not sure who is going to benefit from 2 weeks of sitting on their arses before the CL final. Sooner we just played the match this weekend.

Would Spurs bother to play Sir Harry "I swear it hit my shoulder" Kane, considering they reached the final without him? I hope you do, to be honest, as everything gets channelded to him. Think you are much better without him.

Couple of great games last week. Mate of mine is a Spurs fan. I was very happy they turned over Ajax. Got a bit sick of hearing how good Messi is, and how Ajax are like the young Barcelona, after those first legs.

Two all England club European finals. Stick that up your Brexit jacksies.

Supah Frank Lampard's Derby County finally paid back El Loco Bielsa's Leeds with a stunning 4-2 (4-3 on aggregate) win & advance to play Villa in the Promotional Final. It will be JT vs Super Frank. Must watch TV!!!

Well I, for one, am hurt by that :) .

Not sure who is going to benefit from 2 weeks of sitting on their arses before the CL final. Sooner we just played the match this weekend.

Would Spurs bother to play Sir Harry "I swear it hit my shoulder" Kane, considering they reached the final without him? I hope you do, to be honest, as everything gets channelded to him. Think you are much better without him.

Couple of great games last week. Mate of mine is a Spurs fan. I was very happy they turned over Ajax. Got a bit sick of hearing how good Messi is, and how Ajax are like the young Barcelona, after those first legs.

Two all England club European finals. Stick that up your Brexit jacksies.
Spurs.

Spurs will benefit.

What with the lack of squad depth and gassed injured players.

Plus the longer Pool gets to wallow butthurt over an emptyhanded 97 points the better [emoji6]

To be real honest I don't particularly follow any Premier League club. I just like to watch good soccer while learning more as I go. Don't know enough to even get into the debate really. Like watching Liverpool, think the Wolves are a great story so far, soft spot for Newcastle, but don't really have a team.

We'll see, maybe in a season or two I'll be calling everybody wankers and drunkenly singing my favorite club's songs off-key.

To be real honest I don't particularly follow any Premier League club. I just like to watch good soccer while learning more as I go. Don't know enough to even get into the debate really. Like watching Liverpool, think the Wolves are a great story so far, soft spot for Newcastle, but don't really have a team.

We'll see, maybe in a season or two I'll be calling everybody wankers and drunkenly singing my favorite club's songs off-key.
Nothing wrong with Newcastle. I feel for em. Their supporters, players, and manager deserve better than their ownership provides.

Spurs.

Spurs will benefit.

What with the lack of squad depth and gassed injured players.

Plus the longer Pool gets to wallow butthurt over an emptyhanded 97 points the better [emoji6]

From a week when we expected to lose the league and get knocked out by Barcelona, I say we are pretty much free from butt hurt. I say we are pretty pumped beating Barca 4-0.

We've had a great season. Lost only to the champions. and in the final of the only Cup that matters in European terms.

Please play Harry! He's great!

That's the spirit! :)

Wild prediction time!

In light of City's looming transfer and UCL bans, and Chelsea with a confirmed two window ban, potentially losing Hazard, now Loftus-Cheek with a blown Achilles..

Next season final table...

1. Liverpool
2. Spurs
3. City
4. Wolves
5. ManU
6. Arsenal
7. Chelsea
8. Everton
9. Watford
... (the rest)
18. Burnley
19. Brighton
20. Sheffield Utd

I also predict Villa will top Derby for the 3rd promotion spot, spend heavily, and resume regular mid-table Premier League status for the foreseeable future. Norwich will survive this time, but probably drop the following season. Sheffield goes right back down.

May 19th is a Happy Chelsea Day
19th May 2007 ・ Chelsea win the FA Cup.
D679aDuW4AEbB35.png

19th May 2012 ・ Chelsea win the Champions League.
D679aDsXoAEKLzA.png

19th May 2018 ・ Chelsea win the FA Cup.
D679aDlXoAIh8tE.jpg

But the haters will claim the club has no history :cool:

Funny Chelsea Football Club has been around since 1905 but there are still knuckleheads believing it began when Mr. Roman Abramovich bought the club. Funny spuds top ever goal scorer began his career as a Chelsea player but fools will always tell you that the club didn't exist.

Funny Chelsea Football Club has been around since 1905 but there are still knuckleheads believing it began when Mr. Roman Abramovich bought the club. Funny spuds top ever goal scorer began his career as a Chelsea player but fools will always tell you that the club didn't exist.

Oxford had as good of a history as Chelsea until Abramovich took over....

Chesterfield was founded in 1867 that doesn't give them history. It took Chelsea 100 years to get any sustained success. Yes yes they wont the league in 1955 but they were made table at best for the 40 years prior and it was a shock they won the league that year.

Chesterfield was founded in 1867 that doesn't give them history. It took Chelsea 100 years to get any sustained success. Yes yes they wont the league in 1955 but they were made table at best for the 40 years prior and it was a shock they won the league that year.
So you are equating success with history? Or are you recognizing that Chelsea have history? ****ing silly to say a club that has been around for over 114 years not having history.

Funny thing about us footy fans. Even among our own supporters, we have heated disagreements about players, managers, selections, matches, history, etc.

The same two or three people involved in theses debates, will more often than not find common ground on beer styles and/or music.

It's only a game lads......

So you are equating success with history? Or are you recognizing that Chelsea have history? ****ing silly to say a club that has been around for over 114 years not having history.
Chelsea have been around for a long, long time. I was simply saying Chelsea dont have a history of success until very recently. They are still a great club and are among the best in England.

Wild prediction time!

In light of City's looming transfer and UCL bans, and Chelsea with a confirmed two window ban, potentially losing Hazard, now Loftus-Cheek with a blown Achilles..

Next season final table...

1. Liverpool
2. Spurs
3. City
4. Wolves
5. ManU
6. Arsenal
7. Chelsea
8. Everton
9. Watford
... (the rest)
18. Burnley
19. Brighton
20. Sheffield Utd

I also predict Villa will top Derby for the 3rd promotion spot, spend heavily, and resume regular mid-table Premier League status for the foreseeable future. Norwich will survive this time, but probably drop the following season. Sheffield goes right back down.

I honestly think the reds have a decent crack at the title next season. Couple of decent players in over the summer are required, as our squad depth is not great.

Spurs need some injection of talent too. They are pretty thin, not unlike Liverpool. We had two 18 year olds on the bench in our home leg V Barca.

Chelsea will be desperate without hazard you have to think. Arsenal and united have been woeful. It's great to witness.

Leaves city as favourites to get 3 in a row. HonestLy only see Liverpool giving them a challenge.

A lot can change over a summer I suppose.

Let’s not be crazy here.
Agreed! With a bit of a smile at the original suggestion.

Loriente couldn't buy a goal to save him all year. The goal he did eventually score went in off his hip. I did not see the Ajax 2nd leg, and understand he was alright in that, but if I had a choice between Kane and Lorient, it's easy Kane.

Stand by what I said earlier, be mighty tempted to leave Kane out of the side for Liverpool. Surely a good chance his fitness is off now anyway. Even more reason to hope he starts......

I don't think anyone gets to talk about lack of depth except for Spurs.

Llorente has done more than scoring. And I simply don't trust Kane's fitness, especially not to start. Bring him on in the second half.

I would rather see Dele, Eriksen, Son behind Llorente, or Sonny playing two up top. If Dele loses his head as he's done a lot, or wheb Sonny inevitably gets tired, Moura comes on. We will need that pace late.

Llorente has done more than scoring. And I simply don't trust Kane's fitness, especially not to start. Bring him on in the second half.

I would rather see Dele, Eriksen, Son behind Llorente, or Sonny playing two up top. If Dele loses his head as he's done a lot, or wheb Sonny inevitably gets tired, Moura comes on. We will need that pace late.
Reckon it will be cagey. LIverpool will play a high line, and not let you play out, but Spurs might do similar.

On paper it's Liverpool all the way. One off Cup finals can be odd though.

May 19th is a Happy Chelsea Day
19th May 2007 ・ Chelsea win the FA Cup.
D679aDuW4AEbB35.png

19th May 2012 ・ Chelsea win the Champions League.
D679aDsXoAEKLzA.png

19th May 2018 ・ Chelsea win the FA Cup.
D679aDlXoAIh8tE.jpg

But the haters will claim the club has no history :cool:
History and trophies are all relevant, I suppose. I could sit here and tell you of Liverpools history, but its been 30 years since we won the league. That hurts, no matter our illustrious history. 97 point this season, and still second. Enough points to win all but 2 of all the past Premier league titles, and probably most 1st Division crowns before that. That sucks!

9 Champions League/European Cup finals. No one in England has come close.

Spurs were dominant in the 50s and 60s as I recall reading somewhere when I was a lad, but few teams in Britain have been able to turn their domestic dominance into consistent European success. Spus been second fiddle to rivals Arsenal for 20 odd years or more up until very recently. Arsenal - the invincibles - never had the bottle for Euroope either.

Man City - the consummate Euro Bottlers - included, he says with a large grin.

Not much point getting into the arguments about history, as too many biases.

I remember wanting Chelsea to beat Leeds in the 1970 ish cup final. Osgood scoring a diving header at Old Trafford. Thats happy history for me. I was amused when Torres scored his late winner after Chelsaa were getting battered by Barca. Was happiest of all when Terry blazed his pen wide in the final. Shame it had to be against United.

I reckon that since Abramovich took Chelsea over, I dont care to see themwin a tap. Same applies to City. Its dirty money being allowed into the game, and I'd be just as unhappy if it were Liverpool.

Last edited:

No Llorente. Son and Moura. And let’s take it to them gagenpress style. Like City, Liverpool does not like a taste of their own medicine.

When it comes to City, and the wealth of talent they have "sitting" at their disposal, I think every team has the right to talk about depth. City would not be naming two teenagers, without an EPL start between them this season, on the bench for a CL semi final against Barca. And we are their closest rival at the moment.

We had Salah and Firmino unavailable. Despite recent comments I read to the contrary, we lucked out somewhat with Origi, on the night. Barcelona match aside, he is not a clinical finisher, and is not highly regarded, perhaps unfairly, but he's had opportunities in the past, and not been great. Wijnaldum has a single goal all year, then scores 2. Made Barcelona more of a miracle in many eyes. Few, myself included, gave us much of a chance, though I was never without a glimmer of hope. Anfield really helps our teams a lot, I have to say.

Anyway, point is, City have a deep squad full of mercenaries who would all lick Peps bollocks if he bent over for them.

No Llorente. Son and Moura. And let’s take it to them gagenpress style. Like City, Liverpool does not like a taste of their own medicine.
I say start Kane, with Lloriente to come off the bench, and later, try son off the bench too.

Its your best chance if you ask me. Press us, and see if we falter. But at your peril perhaps, considering our front men.

I'd honestly prefer Kane to start than see Moura and Son together. Kane is clinical, but can often be a passenger in matches as it is hard for him to get involved.

I do hope its an attacking match. I don't think Klopp will send us there to sit back.

With our injury problems and thin squad, we don't have the depth or fitness to gegenpress, especially not for 90 mins. We need to be careful with subs. Liverpool is more fit than Spurs without a shadow of a doubt right now. And if we go all guns blazing we will crap out 70 mins in and collapse. Then we bring on Llorente? We can hold 0-0 or even go 1 up until we run out of steam and then lose by three goals.

That's my take.

With our injury problems and thin squad, we don't have the depth or fitness to gegenpress, especially not for 90 mins. We need to be careful with subs. Liverpool is more fit than Spurs without a shadow of a doubt right now. And if we go all guns blazing we will crap out 70 mins in and collapse. Then we bring on Llorente? We can hold 0-0 or even go 1 up until we run out of steam and then lose by three goals.

That's my take.
With 3 weeks off between games, it could be a crap shoot. Really would have been optimal if we'd met say this weekend - or even sooner, for both sides. We took a few weeks off during the season, after we got knocked out of cups, and came back playing rubbish. Never lost like, but you could see the break did us no good. Pretty sure we had one of them breaks before losing to City, and drawing a few matches against harmless sides. I'm all about keeping the motor running.

Today Valencia defeated Barcelona in the Copa Del Rey Final - you should see the meltdown on twitter - literally comparing Barca to Stoke City - I am totally for a lost of words

I wonder if Arsenal will risk the safety of Mikhartarian. Armenians are in a lot of danger if they go to Azerbaijan. Baku is the Capital of Azerbaijan.
Sounds like the official answer is "no".

F***ed situation. I don't know enough about it to have an opinion but both countries emphatically blame the other.

Sounds like Azerbaijan promised safety of Mkhitaryan, but not to UEFA's, the club's, or his satisfaction.

The final probably shouldn't have been there in the first place. I imagine bribes were involved.

FB_IMG_1559086545047.jpg

Now that that's over...

As much as it pains me...

And barring meteor/tornado/redux of Godzilla vs Mothra/localized outbreak of Black Death...

Preferable outcome is that which keeps one Scum out of Champions League. That means rooting for Chelsea.

I need a shower.

Meanwhile in Manchester
D7q70NTV4AEFy8-.jpg
whatever_emoji_zpsrnzaiw1i.jpg

As much as it pains me...

And barring meteor/tornado/redux of Godzilla vs Mothra/localized outbreak of Black Death...

Preferable outcome is that which keeps one Scum out of Champions League. That means rooting for Chelsea.

TBH I hope you guys win the UCL so the UEFA Super Cup will be a London Derby. Really fitting because I always preach that London Derbies are very unpredictable & sometime are the most exciting matches Derby-wise from Europe. I don't care if it's West Ham vs Tottenham or Chelsea vs Crystal Palace, the atmosphere will be Loud & in your face.

Latest posts

Back