Maine brewing ingredients?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
OK, I'm in Texas but I'm brewing a beer for a special occasion for a friend from Maine ... and I'm wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of a homebrew supplier who sells Maine-grown barley or hops? Any leads would be appreciated. Thanks!

That could be difficult. According to a story in The Maine Sunday Telegram last Sunday. There is a guy who is trying to get a malt house going in Maine because there are currently none. According to the story, there are a handful of farmers who grow barley, but it is shipped to Canada to be malted.

As far as hops go, there are a couple of commercial growers (aroostookhops.com the hopyard.com) that I could find, but they don't appear to do online sales. You would have to contact them.

As a suggestion, Maine is a huge blueberry producing state and blueberry ales are quite common here. You could make your friend a nice blueberry wheat ale.

Hope this helps

+1 on the blueberry, considering I can't think of a way to incorporate lobster..... Unless of course you did some kind of lemony beer that went ON lobster. . . . Hey, that's a pretty good idea if I do say so myself!

Blueberries.. lobster.. because we have an abundance of both of those in Northern Maine... lol

Then again, the only thing that really gets grown up here are potatoes and broccoli.. but if you wanted, I could ship you some moose poop. :)

Back