How long to oak?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedHouse

Reaction score
I have a Cellarcraft Showcase Barbera sitting in a carboy now. I racked it to a secondary three weeks ago, and added the oak cubes at that time.

I plan on bulk aging this for a few months at least, probably more. I am just wondering how long I should keep it on the oak cubes? The instructions say for 10-12 days and then bottle, but they assume you wish to drink it as soon as possible.

Thanks for any tips!

I have a Cellarcraft Showcase Barbera sitting in a carboy now. I racked it to a secondary three weeks ago, and added the oak cubes at that time.

I plan on bulk aging this for a few months at least, probably more. I am just wondering how long I should keep it on the oak cubes? The instructions say for 10-12 days and then bottle, but they assume you wish to drink it as soon as possible.

Thanks for any tips!

You know the "best" way to tell? Taste the wine. Just a bit. When it slightly too much oak flavor, then it's time to bottle! What I mean by that is, if it's just enough, go a little longer, as it will age out quite a lot. If you taste it, and it's a bit too much, then I'd take it off the oak either by bottling or by racking to a new carboy.

Thanks Yoop! I'll give it a taste later tonight, and rack to another carboy when ready.

Sent from my DROIDX using Home Brew Talk

Back