What to sub for the apparently scarce Notty yeast???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhys79

Reaction score
Oh, looking to do a batch of Orfy's MMA, however, Danstar Nottingham yeast seems to be a bit in short supply at the moment. What would make a good substitute for the Notty (dry yeast only please).

Thanks!!

I was thinking -05...it is pretty neutral....I would never hesitate to use the -04 either

I initially thought US-05, as it's characteristics are probably closer to Nottingham. But after I read the recipe, I thought I'd like S-04 better. You can't go wrong with either, they are by far my favorite dry yeasts.

I think S-04 is both more estery and has lower attenuation than Nottingham, but I'd rather use that than US-05 in a mild ale, as it needs a bit of Britishness. I'm sure you could use the Windsor as well.

I think of US-05 and Notty as being more or less interchangable; same as Windsor and S-04. Can't speak to that recipe specifically, though.

My default yeast is the Wyeast 1056 American Ale strain. Ferments out clean without a lot of esters, just like the notty. However, doesn't seem to finish as low but if you're aiming for some residual sweetness I guess that's a good thing. I just wish it were the same price as Notty :).

If you need a pack of Nottingham, PM me and I'll pick one up for you.

i think the safale s-04 is closer to the nottingham, english type yeast and the us-05 is closer to say, a wyeast 1056 american ale yeast

I dunno, S-04 seems to be a lot different than Nottingham imho. It depends on what you are brewing though. Like I have often mentioned, I typically reserve Nottingham for higher gravity Ales where I want a neutral yeast profile. S-04 is my go-to for all my standard Ales. I am so in love with the rapid clarity and compaction of the sediment. Hands down it rocks especially for bottling because the sediment really doesn't even rouse from the bottom.

FWIW I'm doing Orfy's Mild Mannered Ale as well, I'm going to use US-04 and will ferment cool even though it won't be quite the same. I like the English yeast for lighter beers... the fruitiness reminds me I'm not drinking a cheap lager. :p

FWIW I'm doing Orfy's Mild Mannered Ale as well, I'm going to use US-04 and will ferment cool even though it won't be quite the same. I like the English yeast for lighter beers... the fruitiness reminds me I'm not drinking a cheap lager. :p

I think that's a great choice, for the same reasons. I also feel that S-04 is only slightly fruity/estery, and actually is rather clean...just not as clean as Notty or US-05. Windsor OTOH, I find to be excessively fruity and imparts a yeasty taste that takes forever to condition out. It also doesn't flocculate well.

True, and Windsor leaves quite a high final gravity. Actually that is probably it's strongest trait imho.

Yes, absolutely.

It's also import to keep in mind that all yeast can exhibit a wide range of characteristics, depending on the fermentation temperature. We all know that Nottingham can be squeaky clean at lower temps, but I've also tasted ales at my club meetings that used Notty at higher temps, and you'd swear there was fruit in the recipe!

Back