Love TSS2 Dual Stage Temp Controller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use the single stage for my fermentation control and just plug in a 25 watt vanity light bulb when the temps drop below 40 here in the winter. Works like a charm for me.

FermenterHeater.jpg

I know it's an old thread, but I was considering doing exactly what the OP asked. The controller is only $20 more and the wiring would be easy.

Ed, do you just leave the light on all the time?

-Joe

I know it's an old thread, but I was considering doing exactly what the OP asked. The controller is only $20 more and the wiring would be easy.

Ed, do you just leave the light on all the time?

-Joe

Nope, just when the temps drop below 50 outside. I don't use it very much. :D

heh, I just noticed your location ;) It gets cold for a lot longer up here. My basement is usually a steady 50-55 in the winter. Hmm...

-Joe

Yeah, mine is in my garage where the ambient temp ranges from 70 to 100 degrees these days. 10 gallons of Wounded Knee IPA are fermenting happily away at 65 through.

I would just leave the bulb on all the time. The freezer will cycle on and off as needed and you always have light when you open the door.

Good point about the freezer cycling. I've ordered the basic controller. Now to find a freezer! Hello, Freecycle...

Thanks,

-Joe

Yeah, mine is in my garage where the ambient temp ranges from 70 to 100 degrees these days. 10 gallons of Wounded Knee IPA are fermenting happily away at 65 through.

I would just leave the bulb on all the time. The freezer will cycle on and off as needed and you always have light when you open the door.

I know this is an old thread, but are you still using this method for heating Ed?

Back