Which beer mag to get: All About Beer or Beer Advocate?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NOVA Brewer

Reaction score
Well, the title says it all. I already subscribe to BYO, but in the interest of expanding my beer knowledge, I'd like to pick up a general "beer culture" magazine.

So, what can HBT tell me about the pros and cons of All About Beer and Beer Advocate?

For reference, the former is $20 for six issues, the latter is $30 for twelve issues. I'm leaning towards Beer Advocate, because I make use of their website a lot.

I'm on BA alot as well, so i would lean towards that one for myself.

A buddy of mine subscribes to BA's mag and he says it's a pretty good mag with some good info in it.

I vote BA.

There is something about that "all about beer" mag that makes me pass by it all the time at borders....dunno what it is. Not that you can complain about articles by Lew Bryson, Randy Mosher, ect.

I vote BA as well. I love, love LOVE their new layout & graphic schema---AAB's revamp is nice, too, don't get me wrong (their old affinity for putting scantily-clad women on the cover month in and month out like some cheap muscle car mag was, shall we say, low-class)---but BA surpasses them in content IMO.

I also like DRAFT. I'm somehow getting it for free right now.

Back