In Glass Carboy!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GABrewboy

Reaction score
5 gallons of apple juice (Apple Orchard frozen concentrate 100% juice no preserves )
5 cans of pears in heavy juice ( blended till a thick liquid )
2 lbs of light brown sugar
1 lb of honey
2 lemons zested
English Cider Yeast [SIZE=-1](WLP775)
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]My question is this: It fermented pretty vigorous for about 10 days, then went to pretty much nothing. I racked to glass carboy about a week ago now, put in the garage and covered with a towel. The garage temps are on average around the 50-60 degree mark. What is the average length of time I should let this settle out in the carboy and then bottle to condition? Any help would be great!!!![/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Thanks
[/SIZE]

IMHO, your temp is too low for a melomel/cyser mead. They usually like 70+ temps.

You usually let it sit to clear, but with the brown sugar, apple and pear juice it may never do so. Racking the mead off of the fruit particles will help.

What was your last gravity reading?

Yes, I did rack it off the fruit once the first ferm was done. I don't have the last gravity reading with me, but if I can remember correctly it was like 1.02 or there abouts. So your saying I should bring the carboy back inside then into my heated room I have setup for the winter time to keep all my other stuff warm and fuzzy.....:)

Bring it back up to 70F and plan on waiting a month or more as the SG slowly crawls down to 1.005 or so. Augmented ciders generally have very long fermentation periods and can end up at 0.995 or lower. Bottling at 1.020 will result in explosions.

Thanks for the advice guys!! I was just asking because this is my first ever cider, but the white labs site has a cider recipe on it that says:

WLP775-English Cider Yeast
Pitch yeast at 70°F, ferment for 2-4 weeks. Age for 3-5 months at cellar temperature (50°-60°F). Keg or bottle when done (fruit can be added at this stage if desired).

I will test the gravity this afternoon and let you guys know what I come up with.....Thanks

Back