Sauerkraut and ... ??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homercidal

Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I made some homemade sauerkraut and it's ready to eat, but I'm kind of tired of eating it the same ways; On a dog with mustard, or in a pan with kielbasa.

Not that there's anything wrong with those, I'm just looking for a change of pace. Maybe something the family will like (Well, the wife anyway, I'm pretty sure the kid won't even try it if it's got sauerkraut in it.)

Sauerkraut mashed potatoes! Yum!

Second the mashed potatoes. That is how we normally "dispose" of any extra or overripe sauerkraut and brine, though we normally serve it with a sausage of some sort (kielbasa, bratwurst, whatever). You could always just eat it out of a bowl. Another option is to add it to any soup or dish that features cabbage (tacos?) or potatoes, just watch the added salt.

Thadass,

Do you add any seasonings, and if so what?

Pastrami, ham and turkey on rye bread with 'kraut and Russian dressing. Make it a double. Don't forget to have a couple of pilsners on hand.

I also like to boil potatoes until they're half done, and then add them to a pot of 'kraut to finish them up. Serve up on a plate of different wursts, and of course, German beer.

Bacon and Sauerkraut Pierogies
(most of my recipes are to personal taste, adjust measures to your taste)

8 to 10 slices Thick Cut Bacon, finely chopped
1/2C Onion, finely chopped (I sometimes use a whole onion if it is a little smaller)
4 or 5C Sauerkraut rinsed, drained, squeezed dry and chopped
1/2 to 2/3C Sour Cream
salt and pepper to taste
about 25 to 30 round cut pieces of Pierogi dough (Wonton Wrappers will work in a pinch)
1 egg, beaten with 1tsp water
Butter of Bacon Grease for frying, optional

Bring a large pot of water to the boil, while cooking bacon and onions in skillet until bacon is near crispy.
Drain off most of fat. Add chopped sauerkraut, sour cream, salt and pepper. Mix well. Place about 1tbsp filling in center of each piece of dough. Brush edges with beaten egg and fold over, pinching edges to seal. Drop into boiling water a few at a time and cook 1-2 minutes. then, fry in butter (or Bacon Grease) until crispy, if desired.
Serve with additional sour cream if desired.

It's a bit of work, but you can't beat bacon (or sausage) & kraut pierogies. Subsailor's recipe sounds like a winner to me. I've also mixed kraut in with cole slaw and/or potato salad, I've eaten it drained & used to top sardines or herring on crackers (very tasty!) I've also drained it & mixed it into tunafish salad & crab salad. Drained, it even works on a ham sandwich. Drain it & add a spoon or 2 of mayonaise, mix well & use it as a salad dressing.
Saurkraut is much more versatile than people think.
Regards, GF.

Fantastic list! I ended up making kraut and smokes sausage because I left work before I could see some of these fantastic responses. But I'm proud to say that I stopped at the store on the way home and bought another cabbage and immediately shredded it up to put back into the crock with the leftover juice. I also have a quart jar of leftover kraut in the fridge so I can make some of these suggestions.

I don't know why I never even thought of Reuben Sandwich! And the mashed potatoes sound awesome! Perogies sound great, but I'm not sure I'm up for the labor involved. That looks like a real project!

Slow cooker - cheapo pork ribs, 50:50 mix of cabbage and sauerkraut, bit of water, salt, pepper. Let stew. Pretty tasty. I like adding crushed tomatoes into the mix. The ribs go good with potatoes and root veggies (which can be stewed with the ribs).

Fry it up with some onions & bacon to go on perogies.

Mix a bit of hoppy lager with some crushed graham crackers. Used this to bread some bratwursts, and fry in a pan with a good helping of sauerkraut. Goes good with mustard (and the rest of the lager).

Mix with shredded carrot and a chunked apples (or sugar, if you prefer) and olive oil - vola - instant slaw.

Sauerkraut soup - google it. There are literally dozens of recipes. I forget how SWIMBO usually makes ours - sauerkraut, bay leaves, potatoes and bacon are in it, but I'm sure that's the tip of the iceberg...

It goes good in a lot of darker stews - I occasionally make a venison (beef works as well) and red wine stew, seasoned with sauerkraut, pepper, prunes or raisins, and a whack of spices. Any wine-based stew recipe will work - just halve the wine and replace it with sauerkraut.

Potato pancakes (latkas) - mix in sauerkraut and prepare as per usual.

Make schnitzel, fry sauerkraut in a pan with some onions, drown schnitzel in kraut.

Bryan

Its pierogi not pierogis.(1 pierog, more than 1 pierogi) You can make them with mushroom (yummy)

Mmmm... and here I was wondering what to do with some of my sauerkraut. Bacon, kraut, and mashed potatoes. This will happen today.

Put a layer of it in the bottom of the pan when you make stuffed cabbage. It adds some tang and keeps the cabbage rolls from sticking.

Fry it with some butter, and a bay leaf or two (takes a while and you have to watch carefully adding a little water each time it starts to burn) until it gets really brown and so tender that it almost dissolves, add in some garlic and a little onion towards the end. Makes a totally different tasting treat to go along with roast pork or when put into your pierogi.

bosco

This is supposedly a German recipe for ribs mom used to make. you line a large roasting pan with country style ribs,topped with a mixture of the kraut,tomato paste & caraway seed,black pepper. Lay strips of bacon across the top to cover. I've even added beer to this myself. Put cover on roaster & roast at 350F till ribs are done. I save the resulting juices in a glass bowl in the fridge.
The fat congeles on the top to seal it. Makes it easier to remove the fat when ready to use,& the juices turn to jelly. Tons of flavor for a fresh vegetable soup that also has some kraut in it. Cook it with some neck bones for an even better soup with the saved juices. Crushed tomatoes in the soup make it. I've also fried kraut with left over ham & new potatoes with whatever seasonings you like.

Put a layer of it in the bottom of the pan when you make stuffed cabbage. It adds some tang and keeps the cabbage rolls from sticking.

Fry it with some butter, and a bay leaf or two (takes a while and you have to watch carefully adding a little water each time it starts to burn) until it gets really brown and so tender that it almost dissolves, add in some garlic and a little onion towards the end. Makes a totally different tasting treat to go along with roast pork or when put into your pierogi.

bosco

Oh God I haven't had Stuffed Cabbage in a LONG time!

Oh God I haven't had Stuffed Cabbage in a LONG time!

I always have a well cored out head of cabbage or two (wrapped tightly in Saran wrap) in the deep freeze.

Take it out and plunk in a pot of hot water to thaw.

EVERY leaf comes off perfectly, right down to the center. Saves a ton of time, no more boiling or blanching and burned fingers.LOL:ban:

bosco

ps. I find it works best if the cabbage has been in the freezer for a few days.

I always have a well cored out head of cabbage or two (wrapped tightly in Saran wrap) in the deep freeze.

Take it out and plunk in a pot of hot water to thaw.

EVERY leaf comes off perfectly, right down to the center. Saves a ton of time, no more boiling or blanching and burned fingers.LOL:ban:

bosco

ps. I find it works best if the cabbage has been in the freezer for a few days.

Good tip! I've done the steaming trick, but still had problems peeling before steaming.

Good tip! I've done the steaming trick, but still had problems peeling before steaming.

It's great. You can get almost every leaf off the cabbage unlike when I did it by boiling. Now I can make a bunch of golumbki or golubtsy or whatever you want to call them at a moments notice (aside from the cooking time).

I always use hand cut pork and beef for the filling, as it really adds texture and some chew to the rolls. And don't forget the Hungarian paprika..OH YEAH.

bosco

Nice, I was going to try adding some pork this batch. The recipe I got from my friend's mom had added rice for a filler. They were low-income and some of my favorite memories was of making Stuffed Cabbage sandwiches with miracle whip and welfare cheese! I miss the welfare cheese.

Sauerkraut balls! Perfect companion for a nice pint of beer.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Home Brew mobile app

segedin - slovakian goulash
brown some pork, cut into cubes, on high heat, in enough oil (or butter!)
turn down heat, add salt and chopped onion, cook until soft, add minced garlic
add a biiiig spoon hungarian paprika and a good sprinkle caraway seeds (essential!)
mix in (well) a spoonful of flour, cook a minute stirring
add a bay leaf, some good stock and tomato paste, to almost cover the meat, turn heat to low.
layer all the sauerkraut over the top, cover with a lid, leave for 30 min to one hour.
stir it all together and taste it for salt. if too watery, add a tsp. of flour to the cream in the next step.
mix cream and sour cream (and flour) together in a bowl, add to the goulash, give it a couple minutes.
serve, if possible, with knedla, =steamed milk bread, kind of like a giant dumpling, recipes online.
this is a great recipe for vegetarians, sub some kind of fake meat in for the pork.

That's the first time I've heard of Slovakian Goulash. I guess mom forgot that one? Might just have to try it. I have a recipe for Slovak sausage somewhere?...

Sauerkraut mashed potatoes! Yum!

Pork loin in a crock pot with sauerkrat and a tiny bit of water (and garlic, onion, paprika, etc). Cook on low for 6-8 hours.

I'm bumping this old thread, because I have a batch of sauerkrat going right now. I started with 4 pounds of cabbage and it's fermenting in the crock currently.

I'm already trying to decide what to do with some of it! I love sauerkrat, and always have. But Bob, well, not so much.

I had a "rueben soup" at a German restaurant a while back, and I'd love to recreate that.

I like it as a tangy condiment for a wide variety of foods. I've even put it on a ham or roast beef sandwich, in the place of mustard, with success.

I like it mixed in with beef stroganoff. The sour and savory mix well together. It's fantastic mixed in with sliced smoked sausage.

I do avoid cooking my homemade sauerkraut, if possible, though, as it has a great crunch when raw, and cooking kills off the beneficial bugs and dulls the taste, in my opinion.

I like it as a tangy condiment for a wide variety of foods. I've even put it on a ham or roast beef sandwich, in the place of mustard, with success.

I like it mixed in with beef stroganoff. The sour and savory mix well together. It's fantastic mixed in with sliced smoked sausage.

I do avoid cooking my homemade sauerkraut, if possible, though, as it has a great crunch when raw, and cooking kills off the beneficial bugs and dulls the taste, in my opinion.

That's what I was thinking- I don't want to heat it usually. But I could, if I was making something that called for it.

I tend to avoid wheat and other grains, so I don't do sandwiches at home. But mixing it with some stroganoff sounds awesome!

I like to put some of my beer (usually use like a stout or IPA for cooking) in some kraut and simmer it on low so evaporate the liquid I added. Usually add a few other spices but its really good to make plain storebought stuff interesting

That's what I was thinking- I don't want to heat it usually. But I could, if I was making something that called for it.

I tend to avoid wheat and other grains, so I don't do sandwiches at home. But mixing it with some stroganoff sounds awesome!
I like it just as well on bratwurst, without the bun. Also good on sliced ham.

Oh! And pork chops! It's sublime on pork chops. The acidity is great for cutting through the greasy texture of pork-based entrees, in general.

If you're looking for a solid variation, I have 7 words for you: Caraway seeds and green apples. You're welcome.

I've also made a variation (curtido) with garlic, onions, carrots, and crushed red pepper that's really nice on tacos after a short fermentation.

I like it just as well on bratwurst, without the bun. Also good on sliced ham.

Oh! And pork chops! It's sublime on pork chops. The acidity is great for cutting through the greasy texture of pork-based entrees, in general.

If you're looking for a solid variation, I have 7 words for you: Caraway seeds and green apples. You're welcome.

I've also made a variation (curtido) with garlic, onions, carrots, and crushed red pepper that's really nice on tacos after a short fermentation.

Sounds great. We have a whole hog to eat, so we have plenty of pork and I LOVE caraway seeds. That sounds great.

I love the idea on tacos as well. I make corn tortillas (that's in another thread :D) and we eat tacos pretty often, especially when we're in Texas. Great ideas- thanks!

Sounds great. We have a whole hog to eat, so we have plenty of pork and I LOVE caraway seeds. That sounds great.

I love the idea on tacos as well. I make corn tortillas (that's in another thread :D) and we eat tacos pretty often, especially when we're in Texas. Great ideas- thanks!

Sounds like you're set, then. I almost always add a tbsp of caraway seeds to my kraut. If you experiment with apples, just remember a little goes a long way (no more than two in a gallon batch), and make sure you peel them first.

And, I mean, as long as you're fermenting food, you might as well save some of the bugs for a berliner weisse culture. :ban:

My sauerkraut is great. I'm eating it mostly room temperature or cold to keep the probiotics intact. Today I'm going to just add some caraway seeds to it.

I used a teaspoon of the brine to jumpstart my lacto fermented pickles, and the pickles turned out really great.

Now I walk around the house, looking for things to ferment. Hot sauce is coming up soon.

Back