Computer fan panel for ferm chamber air circulation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beernik

Reaction score
I got the idea for this build because I have this nice premounted computer in a piece of plexiglass. I was going to wire and mount a couple more fans next to it and run them off an old phone charger. Then I'm going to hang this thing from the top of my ferm chamber freezer to circulate the air.

Right now I have a desk fan doing that job and it's not exactly the most energy efficient method. Replacing a desk fan with three computer fans has to be a lot cheaper.

Anyway, the center fan has four diodes that light up when it's running. Do I need to worry about them skunking up beer if I decide to use a glass carboy in there? If so I have a couple options for replacing it.

Or I could try snipping the wires to them. But I don't know if they are in series or parallel with the fan motor.

image.jpg

I will get a transatlantic flight to Salt Lake City and personally eat that fan if it skunks any beer up :D

But if you do want rid of them, the LEDs are not likely to be in series with the motor - just snip a lead or whatever you can get at.

I found the wires for them an snipped them. Fan still works. I could always solder them back together if I wanted it working again.

Finished the fan panel today. Now I just need someone to buy my two old couches so I can access my ferm chamber and install it.

image.jpg

Back