My Boring Berliner Weisse

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewing_on_the_Internet

Reaction score
I made a Berliner Weisse with 60% wheat 40% pilsner.

My process.
Mashed with hops at 146 for 2 hours. collected wort for a total of 4.5 gallons. Cooled to 120f then added 1/2lbs of grains.
Sealed in water cube and placed in water bath set at 116f . left for 4 days.
Results in a very tart wort. lovely. heated to pasturize.
Placed in fermenter with old saison cake of Belgian Saison III - WLP585
Fermented at around 70f

og 1.032
fg 1.008 after 3 days.
I feel it should come down some more.

I tasted a sample and it's kind of boring. I would describe as Budweiser of sours. I'm not expecting the depth and complexity of a true sour but something more.

How can I make this more interesting?
Is there something I should have done differently?
Tips for next batch?

I brett'd my last BW at bottling. Dried it out a bit and helped accentuate the crisp, lactic tartness.

I'm going to leave out fruit additions for this batch since I already bought some syrups to try out at serving time.

I don't have any cultures of brett but i do have a bottle of Orval and a bottle of Saison Rue.

I brett'd my last BW at bottling. Dried it out a bit and helped accentuate the crisp, lactic tartness.

How low was your FG when you brett'd it?
What kind of bottles did your use? I only have standard 12oz brown cappable bottles. Not enough empty Belgian bottles to do the whole batch
How was your carbonation and how long did it take?

I like to pitch brett and a clean ale yeast about 50/50 in primary.

I have bottled beer still with brett as high as 1.010, but that was with a beer with some less fermentable sugars. I'd feel pretty safe bottling a berliner with brett and no priming sugar in 'standard' 12 oz bottles at 1.006.

How low was your FG when you brett'd it?
What kind of bottles did your use? I only have standard 12oz brown cappable bottles. Not enough empty Belgian bottles to do the whole batch
How was your carbonation and how long did it take?

My FG wasn't super low when I bottled this batch, I believe it was down to 1.006. I was targeting 3.5 volumes with the assumption that the brett might take it down to 1.003-1.005 over a few months. It carbed slowly and after a few months it poured with a big frothy head that very quickly subsided to small effervescent bubbles. I just used a mix of larger format bottles and standard 12 oz brown bottles.

My FG wasn't super low when I bottled this batch, I believe it was down to 1.006. I was targeting 3.5 volumes with the assumption that the brett might take it down to 1.003-1.005 over a few months. It carbed slowly and after a few months it poured with a big frothy head that very quickly subsided to small effervescent bubbles. I just used a mix of larger format bottles and standard 12 oz brown bottles.

Did you add enough priming sugar for 2 volumes? I might be a little nervous about that, but my beriner always finishes 1.000 - .998.

I think the Saison yeast will bring it below 1.006 since the wort is very fermentable unless the acidity is inhibiting it. I'm going to wait for a few more days and see where it end up.

Did you add enough priming sugar for 2 volumes? I might be a little nervous about that, but my beriner always finishes 1.000 - .998.

This particular batch was 'standard' using the Wyeast 3191 PC blend and I let it sit for awhile (7-8 months maybe?) so I was fairly confident the gravity wasn't going anywhere that low. I don't recall how much priming sugar I used, but it wasn't much and I recall doing a fair amount of napkin math before bottling. I may have given you a bottle actually :)

This particular batch was 'standard' using the Wyeast 3191 PC blend and I let it sit for awhile (7-8 months maybe?) so I was fairly confident the gravity wasn't going anywhere that low. I don't recall how much priming sugar I used, but it wasn't much and I recall doing a fair amount of napkin math before bottling. I may have given you a bottle actually :)

A 22 even! It's one of the couple I have left, I think just that and the spiced deviant.

I think the 4 day mash might have something to do with my berliner attenuation. Not suggesting you overcarbed.

I would suggest brett as well. added a few drops of brett from a few different sources in all of my BW bottles. Really added a good complexity that keeps evolving. Theres a big difference between bottles with one strain and bottles with mixed strains.

My favorite has been a strain from Lost Abbey. Think it may be brett brux but I dont know for sure what they use.

If you use heavy bottles, Id aim for 3 vol and let it go wherever the brett takes it.

I would suggest brett as well. added a few drops of brett from a few different sources in all of my BW bottles. Really added a good complexity that keeps evolving. Theres a big difference between bottles with one strain and bottles with mixed strains.

My favorite has been a strain from Lost Abbey. Think it may be brett brux but I dont know for sure what they use.

If you use heavy bottles, Id aim for 3 vol and let it go wherever the brett takes it.

Different strains in each bottles sounds like a fun way to go about it and add some variety.

I just tried a took another hydrometer reading and it's stuck at 1.008.
No change in 1 week. I need this to be drier. It's too sweet as it is. I placed dregs from a bottle of Orval in a starter and will dump inside the carboy in few days.

update:
Checked hydrometer reading yesterday - no change. still at 1.008. Still tastes too sweet. Added orval dregs from starter with 2 oz maltodextrin for good luck. Airlock activity started within a few hours

Latest posts

Back