Rye Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ardonthorn5

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience making a rye saison? I've been tinkering on Beersmith, and think I have workable recipe:

6.30 pounds of rye malt extract (60 mins)
2 oz. Hersbrucker hops (60 mins)
1 pound Pilsner dme (15 mins)
1 pound d-90 belgian candi syrup (10 mins)
1 oz. opal hops (flameout)

Now, I've played around with the numbers and am considering cutting the rye addition at 60 mins in half, and moving the other half to 15 mins. In that scenario, I believe I would move the Pilsner dme up to 60 mins.

I guess I'm really looking for some suggestions. I'm not exactly sold on those hops. also, i'd like to add some specialty grains, just not sure what.

Anyone have any experience making a rye saison? I've been tinkering on Beersmith, and think I have workable recipe:

6.30 pounds of rye malt extract (60 mins)
2 oz. Hersbrucker hops (60 mins)
1 pound Pilsner dme (15 mins)
1 pound d-90 belgian candi syrup (10 mins)
1 oz. opal hops (flameout)

Now, I've played around with the numbers and am considering cutting the rye addition at 60 mins in half, and moving the other half to 15 mins. In that scenario, I believe I would move the Pilsner dme up to 60 mins.

I guess I'm really looking for some suggestions. I'm not exactly sold on those hops. also, i'd like to add some specialty grains, just not sure what.

I assume you are partial mashing using the DME?

If so, you'll wanna steep those grains for the full 60, at around 153 (IMO). With your belgian candi syrup your Saison is gonna be dark!

I love me a good Saison, actually it is one of my favorite styles right now, bu that is ever evolving :)

I would suggest the DuPont yeast strain if you can get it, it really provides some nice peppery notes. Many have argued that it is a difficult yeast to work with, but if you have fermentation control there should be no issues.

Pitch at 62F allow and set your temp for 67-68, as soon as active fermentation shows signs of slowing bump your controller up to about 78F, and monitor daily, if fermentation is non-apparent start checking SG, if necessary bump temps up to about 80F, but I wouldn't go any higher. I have had success with this schedule, and getting those peppery slightly clove-like notes from the yeast...mmmmm

Dammit, now I wanna brew a Saison!

Back