e-Brewery Control Panel Project/Conversion from Propane to Electric

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dont see that working very well... it defeats the whole point of precise temp control with a herms or rims..

there's got to be a way to cycle the pump and the heater so they arent on during the same duty cycle, but still maintain adequate recirculation... perhaps not the easiest solution, but gotta be possible.

there's got to be a way to cycle the pump and the heater so they arent on during the same duty cycle, but still maintain adequate recirculation... perhaps not the easiest solution, but gotta be possible.

I dont think you quite understand how a herms works... The wort that travels through the coil emerged in the HLT becomes the same temp as the HLT... if you turn your pump on and off with your HLT at 168 all its going to do is raise your mash to 168 degrees a little slower, with completely uneven mash temps from the first time the pump turns on.

I dont think you quite understand how a herms works... The wort that travels through the coil emerged in the HLT becomes the same temp as the HLT... if you turn your pump on and off with your HLT at 168 all its going to do is raise your mash to 168 degrees a little slower, with completely uneven mash temps from the first time the pump turns on.

i understand completely. my comment is based on the fact that you can run an element and a pump on alternating cycles (think multiple cycles per second or a second or two each.) this could then enable a "continual" flow of wort, as well as linear heating. you don't lose enough heat to the environment within a few seconds to have any impact. think of it as having a SPDT switch built in to the circuitry that switches back and forth rapidly between pump and element (obviously 120 pump/240 element wiring makes this more complicated)

i understand completely. my comment is based on the fact that you can run an element and a pump on alternating cycles (think multiple cycles per second or a second or two each.) this could then enable a "continual" flow of wort, as well as linear heating. you don't lose enough heat to the environment within a few seconds to have any impact. think of it as having a SPDT switch built in to the circuitry that switches back and forth rapidly between pump and element (obviously 120 pump/240 element wiring makes this more complicated)

Either you dont or I am missing what you are trying to accomplish. Im referring to post #77
The wort that exits the herms coil submerged in 168degree temp water will be 168 degrees or close to it even if you have the pump at full speed. How will pulsing the pump speed have any effect on enabling the herms to maintain a consistent 152 degree mash while having 168 hlt?

are you talking about just running multiple elements such as in a RIMS application off a smaller circuit and not about a herms at all? If thats the case then there are multiple ways of accomplishing that such as using a 4500w HLT element and a 240v 2000w rims element which can both be ran off a single 30a circuit fine.. as would any 5500w element and 240v pump.

Either you dont or I am missing what you are trying to accomplish. Im referring to post #77
The wort that exits the herms coil submerged in 168degree temp water will be 168 degrees or close to it even if you have the pump at full speed. How will pulsing the pump speed have any effect on enabling the herms to maintain a consistent 152 degree mash while having 168 hlt?

are you talking about just running multiple elements such as in a RIMS application off a smaller circuit and not about a herms at all? If thats the case then there are multiple ways of accomplishing that such as using a 4500w HLT element and a 240v 2000w rims element which can both be ran off a single 30a circuit fine.. as would any 5500w element and 240v pump.

i think we're getting off the rails here lol. this isn't anything i'm trying to do, was proposing an out of the box way to solve a "getting below X amperage" threshold issue.

to anyone reading along, augiedoggie knows a lot more about all this than i do, assume i'm wrong and ignore this subset of the discussion!

i think we're getting off the rails here lol. this isn't anything i'm trying to do, was proposing an out of the box way to solve a "getting below X amperage" threshold issue.

to anyone reading along, augiedoggie knows a lot more about all this than i do, assume i'm wrong and ignore this subset of the discussion!

If your talking about usingPWM to run more devices at the same time off a smaller circuit it can be done as far as multiple elements but the output of each element will be less powerful.. There are folks here who do it. I dont know anyone using pwm on a 120v ac pump though... Not sure how that would work but the flow would be less... I do use pwm on my smaller DC pumps but they draw less than 1 amp combined on my 30a 240v line..

And im far from an expert on this stuff... everything I learned I learned here or from experiments Ive done myself.:mug:

I've thought about doing this as well (Herms in HLT, while ramping HLT to strike) but I envisioned using a PID to control a pump. Place the probe at/in the pump outlet, pump into the TOP of the herms loop, and drain return to the tun. Once the outlet wort into the herms is back to the correct temp, the pid would turn off the pump, and the wort still in the herms would finish draining back to the mash tun.

(This, of course, assumes a gravity transfer system)

As the HLT rises to strike, the HERMS cycles would simply get shorter. And, in step mashes, you'd be in better position to step faster as your HLT has been heating up the entire time you've been sitting at a break.

Am I missing something key here? I could see how an insufficient flow rate could return a portion of your wort above your step, but returning it through a sparge arm should distribute that extra heat into your still-not-there-yet temp wort, and as a bonus help avoid thermal layering.

I've thought about doing this as well (Herms in HLT, while ramping HLT to strike) but I envisioned using a PID to control a pump. Place the probe at/in the pump outlet, pump into the TOP of the herms loop, and drain return to the tun. Once the outlet wort into the herms is back to the correct temp, the pid would turn off the pump, and the wort still in the herms would finish draining back to the mash tun.

(This, of course, assumes a gravity transfer system)

As the HLT rises to strike, the HERMS cycles would simply get shorter. And, in step mashes, you'd be in better position to step faster as your HLT has been heating up the entire time you've been sitting at a break.

Am I missing something key here? I could see how an insufficient flow rate could return a portion of your wort above your step, but returning it through a sparge arm should distribute that extra heat into your still-not-there-yet temp wort, and as a bonus help avoid thermal layering.
I dont know maybe it could work but at that point wouldnt it just make more sense to go with a rims setup? Vs having to design a system where the herms is above the mash tun and stops and drains out very few moments causing your pump to continuously turn on and off disturbing the grainbed filter and likely having variations in your mash temps? It would very likely kind of defeat the purpose of consistent controlled mash temps dont you think? Ideally your supposed to mash in at the correct temp and not climb to it via herms... Its more for maintaining it ideally since it much slower than a rims in reacting.

I currently set my sparge temp on my HLT as soon as I transfer strike water to my MT the sparge water is at 170 long before I I need it and the element maintains the temp fine the whole time I continue to mash with my rims on a mere 30a circuit so why go through all this trouble to make the herms work less effectively as a work around to another weakness already associated with it? there are far more effective solutions without the tradeoffs.

I currently set my sparge temp on my HLT as soon as I transfer strike water to my MT the sparge water is at 170 long before I I need it and the element maintains the temp fine the whole time I continue to mash with my rims on a mere 30a circuit so why go through all this trouble to make the herms work less effectively as a work around to another weakness already associated with it? there are far more effective solutions without the tradeoffs.

The system I've been piecing together is keggles for the HLT and BK, with an igloo cooler for the mash tun (these I already have, converting them to electric soon). Given the limitation of my "brew house" (some plywood on a sink with a shelf above it, and full breaker box) I only have one 240 line available from my dryer connection. Since I'll only be able to power one element at a time, this seemed the best way to go.

I can strike in at the proper temp, rely on the cooler alone for single step mashes, and use the herms setup only when I need to step the mash temp or mash longer than the hour or so I could maintain temp in the cooler without assistance.

A rims setup would keep me from heating sparge water, since I'd need an element in the mash tun and hlt running together. Skipping the herms loop and trying to have an almost-all gravity based transfer system means dumping boiling water to the tun, or decocting, both of which bring ladders and boiling liquids into the same sentence. Do able at a significant risk, but really just means I can't step mash easily.

The system I've been piecing together is keggles for the HLT and BK, with an igloo cooler for the mash tun (these I already have, converting them to electric soon). Given the limitation of my "brew house" (some plywood on a sink with a shelf above it, and full breaker box) I only have one 240 line available from my dryer connection. Since I'll only be able to power one element at a time, this seemed the best way to go.

I can strike in at the proper temp, rely on the cooler alone for single step mashes, and use the herms setup only when I need to step the mash temp or mash longer than the hour or so I could maintain temp in the cooler without assistance.

A rims setup would keep me from heating sparge water, since I'd need an element in the mash tun and hlt running together. Skipping the herms loop and trying to have an almost-all gravity based transfer system means dumping boiling water to the tun, or decocting, both of which bring ladders and boiling liquids into the same sentence. Do able at a significant risk, but really just means I can't step mash easily.
a dryer plug is 240v and 30a and exactly what I use to power my whole brewery... You will have to buy or build a gfci breaker box anyway if you plan on doing things safely so adding two plugs wont be hard. You can even power the rims off of a separate 120v plug with the pid you were suggesting wiring up for the pump. You actually has it better than me because I brew in a spare bedroom with no water.

a few years ago I used an orange igloo cooler mash tun, keggle and a cheap 13g bk with a cheap $75 rims setup consisting of 1"stainless pipe fittings and an 18" long stainless cartridge heater... my very first budget rims was even cheaper being made of soldered 3/4" copper and a small 800w cartridge heater I bought new for $9 on ebay... It maintained temps fine but couldnt step mash effectively at all.. BTW a rims element does not go into the MT so im not sure if that was just a mistype on your part of what.

If your looking for cost effective ways to go electric check out my build thread below in my sig. I was REALLY on a budget when I biult the control panel for my brewery for under $300 and my whole brewery is still under $1500 minus my fermenter setup so...

Yeah pretty sure your clear flow meter just became a "must have". I'll have to revisit the rims vs herms debate. I planned on scaling to 5 gallon all grain batches using induction, but got a great deal on the keggles and mash tun. That scaled me out of induction but allows 10 gallon full boils., so I have "room for growth".

Back