Weird Bubbles in Bottle...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laxsoccerguy

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

So I just bottled off my first batch! However, it's been a day and i looked at the bottle and i realized that they all still have (what looks to be) the sanitizer bubbles at the top of the liquids. I gently rotated a bottle and sanitizer bubbles popped to the top of the beer. Is this normal? I used Star San (and the proper diluting). There were bubbles still in the bottling bucket (no solution but bubbles/foam!) and there were still some foam in each of the bottles even after i let them dry.

Sorry for the noob question..and i did a search too. found similar topics..but i just wanted to make sure that things were going to be okay!! Thanks community!

Starsan breaks down with time. one day is not enough time to break down.

Don't fear the foam. Starsan was invented for the brewing industry.

i use it all the time.

I thought you don't want your bottles/equipment to dry after rinsing/soaking with Star San? They need to be wet when bottling, correct? Kills the nasties only wehn wet.

I use PBW myself (powdered brewer's wash). Works just fine,& doesn't leave foam on everything. But it can leave a thin,white residue where it runs off. But that has proven to be neutral.

I use PBW myself (powdered brewer's wash). Works just fine,& doesn't leave foam on everything. But it can leave a thin,white residue where it runs off. But that has proven to be neutral.

isn't PBW just a cleanser and not a sanitzer?

I thought you don't want your bottles/equipment to dry after rinsing/soaking with Star San? They need to be wet when bottling, correct? Kills the nasties only wehn wet.

It doesn't matter if the bottles are dry or wet. You are just trying to kill the bacteria/yeast/mold, etc that might be in the bucket or bottles, not that are being introduced with your beer. Once the beer goes in there the small amount of star sans is way too dilute to kill anything (like your yeast for instance).

Oh well,it worked fine last time. But the solution was hot,so that should help. It's clean & smells neutral. Just have to get the right stuff next time. A vid I saw on youtube led me to believe that was the right stuff. Maybe I misunderstood.?

I would be careful with PBW... It's not a sanitizer and is highly basic, meaning a very high PH as opposed to the acidic qualities of Star San. PBW should always be rinsed and was not made for human consumption.

Back