Red Hook IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffg

Reaction score
I have to confess, I had absolutely zero expectations of this beer being any good, but my favorite local watering hole near my office has it on tap along with Sierra Nevada, and lately I've been going for the IPA. For whatever reason, it has a pretty good bite to it and a nice hop flavor aroma balance. Maybe I have just Harpooned myself to death over the last ten years, who knows. It's not something i would normally put in my fridge, but on tap after work it is pretty good. Anyone else drink it?

I bought a six pack once, I was underwhelmed by it. Their ESB is good.

Odd you should bring this beer up. The Oregon Brew Crew had a People's Choice tasting last month of 14 IPA's and Redhook came in last. Lagunitas and Racer 5 were one & two.

david_42 said:
Odd you should bring this beer up. The Oregon Brew Crew had a People's Choice tasting last month of 14 IPA's and Redhook came in last. Lagunitas and Racer 5 were one & two.

Doesn't surprise me :D but it's still good on tap. Downtown Boston beer choices are usually extremely limited.

Do you ever visit JJ Foley's? It's on King street, couple blocks past Downtown crossing. I used to love that place.

monk

I must admit, since I've moved to Oregon I rarely eat anywhere except a brewpub. My favorite place has an IPA Brut, an IPA, a hoppy red and a very hoppy APA on tap right now. Mark had a Pilsner this summer with 40 IBU of Saaz.

I must admit, since I've moved to Oregon I rarely eat anywhere except a brewpub. My favorite place has an IPA Brut, an IPA, a hoppy red and a very hoppy APA on tap right now. Mark had a Pilsner this summer with 40 IBU of Saaz.

Sounds like Golden Valley in McMinville. Great Brewery. I've got two bottles of the VS Brut IPA in the cellar. That's an amazing beer!

Monk said:
Do you ever visit JJ Foley's? It's on King street, couple blocks past Downtown crossing. I used to love that place.

monk

Oddly enough, I was at the Good Life right across the street last night (lamenting that I did not go to JJ's since they redid the Good Life and it is bad now).

Boston's a funny place for the bar scene. Most of the brew pubs that popped up like dandelions in the mid-90's have gone under. There are a few select bars that do the 30 beers on tap and another 100 in the bottle thing, which is nice, but they are either inconveniently located to downtown to be a good post-work spot, or they serve food as the main attraction so the standing room bar space is limited (making it tough to go with the post-work gang). The "martini bar" craze and wine bars have made a big comeback and good beer is really taking the big hit. Places think they are vogue if they have Moretti and Stella. it is shocking to get an IPA other than Harpoon on tap, which I'm pretty burnt out on. There is always a good guiness in one of the 6,000 irish bars mind you, but not much to delight the hop head....

jeffg said:
Oddly enough, I was at the Good Life right across the street last night (lamenting that I did not go to JJ's since they redid the Good Life and it is bad now).

Boston's a funny place for the bar scene. Most of the brew pubs that popped up like dandelions in the mid-90's have gone under. There are a few select bars that do the 30 beers on tap and another 100 in the bottle thing, which is nice, but they are either inconveniently located to downtown to be a good post-work spot, or they serve food as the main attraction so the standing room bar space is limited (making it tough to go with the post-work gang). The "martini bar" craze and wine bars have made a big comeback and good beer is really taking the big hit. Places think they are vogue if they have Moretti and Stella. it is shocking to get an IPA other than Harpoon on tap, which I'm pretty burnt out on. There is always a good guiness in one of the 6,000 irish bars mind you, but not much to delight the hop head....

That's sad to hear. I lived in Boston for 3 years and very much enjoyed the pubs. I was in the seminary at the time (have since left, on good terms, and married), but I certainly enjoyed hitting Foley's on Sat afternoon to have a couple pints with the bros. I don't remember much of their selection except that it seemed large. I didn't know much of beer at the time, so I didn't give the selection much of a workout. I've heard Foley's was a hangout for cops and irish mob, but I never saw too many myself. Mostly just seminarians. :) They were quite nice to us, bless them.

Back