Autumn Seasonal Beer Punkin' Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
7.5 drink one and feeling good.... Now I feel like a drunk.

Umm mines been left in primary for what 15 days now guess time to keg and let age some more

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Should I use 2/3 cup table sugar to prime a 5 gallon batch of bottles?

It seems the general consensus from what I have read mentions doing at MOST 2/3 of a cup. Anywhere between 1/2 and 2/3 of a cup would be a safe dose of sugar to a 5 gallon batch. Sorry I can't give you an exact answer but I think if you go with 2/3 of a cup, you should be fine.

Should I use 2/3 cup table sugar to prime a 5 gallon batch of bottles?

I used a priming calculator and it had me do 2.7oz of Priming Sugar. It was right about 2/3 of a cup. Also took a tiny sip of this in a shot glass. Tastes awesome, nice Brown Sugar kick at the end.

All kegged and carbed up at 9.1% baby! Had some friends over the other night and got twisted!!

1410922384624.jpg

brewed this today as per recipe......racked into my glass carboy and will let it ferment in the primary for at least 4 weeks. Should I transfer to secondary to cold crash when it's time?

brewed this today as per recipe......racked into my glass carboy and will let it ferment in the primary for at least 4 weeks. Should I transfer to secondary to cold crash when it's time?

If you wish. You could even cold crash in primary. But typically anything that would get knocked out durring cc would likely be gone after 4 weeks anyway. Just my opinion, but then again I've transitioned into the "eh, that's just more work" phase of my homebrewing. :D

For 1 gal conversion of this do I just divide everything by 5, including the hops weights and pumpkin/spice?

For 1 gal conversion of this do I just divide everything by 5, including the hops weights and pumpkin/spice?

Normally, I'd say no. You'd need to enter it into a software, if nothing else, to get the hops right. However at 19 ibu, I think this recipie uses low enough hops to let the other flavors (especially pumpkin pie spice) come foreward that it won't matter much if you just divide or use a calculator. So, yea I vote that you go for it and just divide everything by 5 and keep it simple.

Sent from my iPod touch using Home Brew

Normally, I'd say no.

Why would you normally say no? I would almost always say yes. That's really the only way to scale recipes, and that's also exactly what the brewing software will do. But I do agree that everyone should be using some kind of brewing software to calculate IBUs and such. Small changes in AA% can have much larger effects for 1 gallon batches.

Bottled today, Final Gravity was 1.014
ABV around 6.6%
And according to an IBU calculator its got an IBU rating if 14.85.
I'm pretty stoked to try this after its bottle conditioned.
was considering it for Christmas gifts but after trying the gravity sample I want it all for myself!

So I have some aromatic, white wheat, Vienna, and Munich on hand. Which would be a better sub for victory? Can't wait to try this one.

Any one use fresh pumpkin for this? I figure as long as its about same weight of pulp after cleaning,seeding, and roasting it should not matter? Also thanks for the replies about scaling to one gallon. I do use brew software and appreciate your input. The hops can be a bit tricky to get right. The spice and pumpkin should be ok to divide by 5?
Thanks!

So I only did a 2.5 gallon batch of this stuff and pitched S-04 dry. Had fermentation when I woke up the next morning but the krausen never really got too high. Fermentation started on Friday and appeared to be finished, krausen dropped and everything, by Sunday. Is this pretty typical? I was thinking that maybe since it was only 2.5 gallons the krausen wouldn't be as big because there is less of whatever it is that makes krausen (proteins?) in 2.5 gallons vs 5 gallons.

I've heard S-04 is a quick fermenter but damn! I was sitting here worried that I had the beer too cold in my swamp cooler (I tried to keep the water temp in the upper 50's so the beer would be in the low 60's) because the krausen was so low and then it stopped and dropped krausen. Haven't taken a gravity reading yet.

I just took a gravity sample, 2 weeks after brew day. SG was 1.012! The beer hasn't changed in appearance since the day the krausen dropped (aside from clearing up a little) so I am led to believe that this beer really did go from 1.073 to 1.012 over the course of 3 days of active fermentation!

1.073 to 1.012 puts my beer right at 8% abv. The sample tasted pretty spicy all around what with the pumpkin pie spices and the high abv. But it was not spicy in a bad way, I liked it. I am chilling the sample now for a better taste. It still has a really nice orange color.

Question: How many volumes of CO2 are ideal for this beer? I am thinking that it would probably do best with a moderate-low level of carbonation, but that is only a guess.

I just took a gravity sample, 2 weeks after brew day. SG was 1.012! The beer hasn't changed in appearance since the day the krausen dropped (aside from clearing up a little) so I am led to believe that this beer really did go from 1.073 to 1.012 over the course of 3 days of active fermentation!

1.073 to 1.012 puts my beer right at 8% abv. The sample tasted pretty spicy all around what with the pumpkin pie spices and the high abv. But it was not spicy in a bad way, I liked it. I am chilling the sample now for a better taste. It still has a really nice orange color.

Question: How many volumes of CO2 are ideal for this beer? I am thinking that it would probably do best with a moderate-low level of carbonation, but that is only a guess.

I can't give you an exact number, but I had a Dogfish Head Punkin the other day and noticed right away that it seemed to be on the lower end of carbonation.

Maybe I would venture a guess of 2.2 vol?

I will probably shoot for 2.2 or 2.3 vol. I like a pretty moderate level of carbonation, not super fizzy but not really low either. I think 2oz of corn sugar or maybe a little less in my 2.5 gallons of beer will probably be fine.

Making this today... Had a can of Munton's MO LME instead of regular pale LME, so using 3.3 lbs of Pale and 2.7 lbs of MO... Also missed the bit about using S-04 instead of US-05 and so will be using the -05... be interesting to see how it works out. Also have a 6pack of DFH Punkin', will make sure to keep at least one bottle for comparison purposes...

I took a sample of mine (brewed 4 weeks ago) and this stuff is delicious. I appreciate the fact that it actually tastes like pumpkin, not just spices.
I have a bottle of Sam Adam's pumpkin for comparison when mine's ready. I think mine will top it :D
Thanks again Reno!

Just pulled a sample of mine. I'll be taking a growler of it to a pumpkin themed party tonight. It's turned out quite nicely! My FG was 1.013, giving me a big 8.3% beer.

Great recipe, Reno!

1411329249219.jpg

I took a sample of mine (brewed 4 weeks ago) and this stuff is delicious. I appreciate the fact that it actually tastes like pumpkin, not just spices.
I have a bottle of Sam Adam's pumpkin for comparison when mine's ready. I think mine will top it :D
Thanks again Reno!
When a batch of this comes out particularly well it kicks the pants off SA Pumpkin.... in my most humble opinion, of course.... :D

Just pulled a sample of mine. I'll be taking a growler of it to a pumpkin themed party tonight. It's turned out quite nicely! My FG was 1.013, giving me a big 8.3% beer.

Great recipe, Reno!
That looks awesome! I hope it is well received at the party. :mug:

Kegged mine yesterday. Added a little spice tea at kegging in addition to the spices in the boil.
Great color and taste but can't wait until carbed up and ready to drink.

Note: My Coors Light tap is for my keg of sparkling water.

image.jpg

So an update on the www.Homebrewtalk.com Pumpkin Ale

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f76/punkin-ale-145060/

During the primary ferment I ran into a problem with some fruit flys starting to hang out around the top of my fermenter (I think I should have racked it into a carboy out of the primary pale a little sooner) so I cleaned up a carboy and racked it immediately hoping to avoid any potential contamination. I let this sit for another 7-10 days to let it finish clearing etc. and it developed a little film on the top that looked a little shifty so I called a friend to try to trouble shoot it and luckily he was able to take a look at it and smell it and we shared the opinion that everything is ok, perhaps a miner infection but nothing too serious and it should be kegged sooner then later. So today after work I finished cleaning and reassembling the keg with a new gas post and a o-ring and gave it a pressure check before cleaning and racking the pumpkin ale into it.

Before doing anything with the beer I looked at the surface and it did not appear to have grown any more, and there has been zero airlock activity so I pulled a small sample and it has a nice pumpkin flavor to it and a hint of spice and I think it's not bad so far, so time will tell

:mug:

Doubled this and brewed a 10 gallon batch of this today. Love the color and the smell. The mash was super gummy, but pumpkin season is my favorite so the work was well worth it, and it got me out of cleaning the house :)

I'll update in about a month when I pull a sample.

When a batch of this comes out particularly well it kicks the pants off SA Pumpkin.... in my most humble opinion, of course.... :D

Even with me drastically missing my OG (1052) this stuff tastes like pumpkin. Imagine! A pumpkin beer tasting like something other than cloves and nutmeg!

I brewed the extract version of this a week ago, pulled a hydrometer sample last night because I was getting antsy and wanted a reason to taste it. It's at 1.020 and has that same cider kind of flavor that some people have been talking about earlier in the thread.

I'm assuming it's just because it's still really early in the process but I'm also curious about maybe if the 1lb of brown sugar isn't a good idea if you're doing a partial boil for the extract. My boil was about 3.5 gallons, but I ended up with a 5 gallon batch after topping off. Thoughts?

Anyway I'm still really excited to see how this turned out, the pumpkin and spices still make it really tasty, even if it is a bit cidery.

Hmmm... the gravity is pretty high at the moment. I bet the sweetness from the unfermented sugars is causing that taste. I would give it a little longer as it hasnt finished fermenting all the way. Just my 2 cents.

I'm sure this has been asked, but has anyone tried a parti gyle with this and if so how was it? I'm brewing this weekend and was wondering. Thanks for the help.

Back