Im a newbie, i got a few questions...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zodiak3000

Reaction score
whats up everybody, i just got a few basic brew questions i hope some of you guys can help with..

* What is a good all around any beer LME? Would a basic Muntons light malt extract be sutible for say an ale or IPA, or is it general for a lager?

*Is it necessary to do a two-stage fermentation? how long will my beer take to be ready if i leave it in the original fermentation bucket?

*What do you guys think about brew kits? Like Coopers or something. Anybody achieve a good beer from these? It looks like the have hopped LME already so im curious how the quality comes out with added sugar and pre-hopped LME in the recipe. Does anybody add sugar when you already have grains and an unhopped LME or DME?

So im just gathering info before i buy my ingredients. This will be my first batch, so im skeptical to buying a Coopers kit or all the good quality grains, hops, and yeast. Any other feedback for a newbie is appreaciated. I got all my equipment, researched, and watched alot of youtube's on brewing. Also, if anybody has a good Ale recipe for beginners that would be cool. Thanks...:mug:

1. can't comment don't generally buy it.
2. You only get 2 stage fermentation when you add more fermentables. People mistakenly call their clearing vessel a secondary fermenter.
3. You can by some okay pre hooped kits but they are not the cheaper ones. Sugar should not be used for a cheap replacement for malt if you want a good beer.
4. The recipe depends on what beer you want to make and what you like. I have a couple of my AG recipes converted to extract. They seem to go down well. There are plenty of good recipes in the drop down box under members names.

zodiak,
I just ordered the Cooper's brewing kit. UPS tracking says I should have it Tuesday. I was intimidated by the ingredients, recipes, procedures, etc., so I decided to go with what I thought was the simplest way. I realize the easy way is not always the best, but I hope this is just the beginning(this kit turns out to be my gateway drug). I hope to be able to give a good review for the Cooper's kit. My wife thinks I'm crazy. I've been saving all my Dos XX bottles for this adventure.

Good luck on the brewing guys! there is a ton of useful info in the stickies to help you in your first efforts, pay attention to the times and temps and dont forget to add your extract off the heat and stir the crap out of it so you dont scorch it on the bottom of the pot. also start looking through the recipe sections for your next brew, most are labeled as extract, all-grain or partial mash.

Good Luck with the brewing! And welcome to the obsession! My first three brews were from True Brew Kits. A Brown ALe, Oktoberfest and Amber Ale... All three were great. I never tried the coopers kits, but don't see why it can't make good beer.
Now I have been ordering kits from Ausitin Homebrew. They have extract kits with grains that you steep. They are great kits with detailed instructions. Last night I brewed the Double Chocolate Stout and tonight I am brewing the Nut Brown Ale.
That is what I mean by obsession!
Good Luck, and enjoy!
Dave

Back