Substitution recommendation needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewStef

Reaction score
I am working on a recipe to brew this weekend but cannot get the ingredients locally and do not wish to pay crazy overnight shipping charges.

What would you recommend substituting these grains?

1) Chocolate Wheat - should I use a combination of wheat and regular chocolate malt?

2) Caramel 150L malt - Is 120L fine?

Thanks in advance.

BrewStef

BrewStef said:
1) Chocolate Wheat - should I use a combination of wheat and regular chocolate malt?
I've never seen this, but I am assuming it's roasted malted wheat. (?) If it's dark roasted, I don't know what the wheat would actually provide that regular cholocate (barley) malt would not.

Maybe you can get some wheat and roast it yourself. Put it in a hot air popcorn popper or on a pan in the oven and roast it until it's nice and dark.

BrewStef said:
2) Caramel 150L malt - Is 120L fine?
Yeah. It might be a little lighter in color than the original recipe, but no big deal.

Have you tried this company? They are spoke well of on beeradvocate.com for odd grains.

American Home Brewing Supply
9295 Chesapeake Dr., Suite E
San Diego, California, 92123
United States
phone: (858) 268-3024

Thanks for the replies. Funny that you mention AHBS. I just spoke with Vance at AHBS (my first LHBS) about this issue. He does not carry these malts currently.

From what I have gathered, I should stick with Crystal 120L instead of 150L (minor difference), and just use Chocolate Malt instead of Chocolate Wheat...and that if I really wanted to get close, substitute some of the 2-row with wheat - I am not going to bother.

Thanks again.

BrewStef

Back