Honey Beer B-Que sauce

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keim

Reaction score
I'm fairly new to brewing, so I don't have any beer recipes to share. Still, I felt the need to give back to HBT. I've learned a lot here.

I couldn't brew this weekend-my carboy is letting some Apfelwein age (I have another on order so this won't be a problem again). I concocted a new BBQ sauce instead. I think it turned out well. If you like honey and beer, I think you will to.
Let me know what you think.

With thanks to Steve Raichlens "Nashville Sweet " recipe in his book BBQ USA, here you go:

2 cups ketchup
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
3/4 cup beer (I used a light citrusy homebrew)
1/4 cup honey (I used premium clover honey)
1.5 teaspoons liquid smoke
1 tablespoon worchestshire
2 teaspoons dry mustard
1 teaspoon onion powder
0.5 teaspoon ground black pepper
0.5 teaspoon ground white pepper
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Mix ingredients in sauce pan. Cover and let simmer on medium low for about 30 minutes. Stir frequently. Should be thick and spicy when done.
Makes about 3 cups.

I will need to try this. Making bbq sauce is one thing I haven't done yet, but it sounds fairly easy. Maybe tweak it a little and use this as a base.

That looks pretty good, I might try it sometime. I always like a good spicy bbq sauce.

Update: I'm thinking I'll kick up the pepper quotient next time. 1 teaspoon of each. And, more beer-perhaps a cup.

Let me know what you think if you make it today Eschatz.

That looks great. I've been looking for a good BBQ sauce recipe, so I'll try and give this one a go at the weekend. Thanks! :mug:

Making beer mustard is fun and quite easy as well. I tend to just get your basic French's and simmer it up with whatever beer I have and some brown sugar. Always adds some nice flavors!

As an addendum: I made some more of this sauce. But, I doubled the white pepper, and black pepper. And, added 1 tsp of cayenne. Warmed it up nicely.

Back