Extract made from Belgian Malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mag

Reaction score
Is there such a thing as an extract that is made from a Belgian Malt that is readily available?

I'm still into my first year of home brewing, and wanted to try a Belgian style. Was thinking I "needed" a Belgian malt, but they don't really carry one at my LBS, and the LBS guy kind of danced around the question.

They do carry Briess and Munton's, which I'm sure would be acceptable. To me and my buds, at least :mug:

You could try a partial mash if you want to use a belgian base malt. Read the thread linked in my sig.

Specialty grains are more important than your base, tho. Belgian specialty grains include: Caramunich, Aromatic, Caravienne, Special B, Belgian Bisquit, etc.

What type of beer are you trying to make?

Was thinking of starting with a Belgian Pale Ale, and then go from there. What style would you say is the cornerstone of the Belgian styles?

My LBS does carry the specialty grains that you listed, along with an assortment of Wyeast varieties, so I should be able to find a suitable yeast.

Well, I've always understood that European Pils made up the bulk of grists in Belgian small breweries. Not even Belgian Pils; Pils from other places.

You can make fine Belgian-style ales with whatever base malt you please. Briess makes a lovely Pilsner extract. +1 to using specific Belgian specialty grains to get a particular style. Also keep in mind that the yeast is really what makes a Belgian-style beer; you can take the same bitter wort, ferment one with American ale yeast and another with Belgian Abbey yeast, and you have two completely different beers.

Cheers!

Bob

Was thinking of starting with a Belgian Pale Ale, and then go from there. What style would you say is the cornerstone of the Belgian styles?

My LBS does carry the specialty grains that you listed, along with an assortment of Wyeast varieties, so I should be able to find a suitable yeast.

I have a wonderful pale ale recipe. I could convert it to PM or extract for you, if you'd like. Just PM me and I'll throw it together after work.

And +1 for the Belgian's "outsourcing" of Pils production... looks like I'll have to decide between the Munton's and Briess now :D

I have a wonderful pale ale recipe. I could convert it to PM or extract for you, if you'd like. Just PM me and I'll throw it together after work.

If it's not too much trouble, that would be great.

Back