What to do with 9# Rye Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

befus

Reaction score
I was going to make a Ruthless Rye clone and ordered some ingredients only to decide to go all grain with it. Now I have 9 lbs. Northern Brewer Rye extract and no real plan. I brewed the RR clone for a buddy and am personally more fond of malt than hops. Any suggestions as to what to do with this extract? Anything that might be Irish inspired with St. Paddy's coming up? Thanks for any thoughts you might have.

saison, saison, saison with lots of rye (extract in this case)

It would be very difficult for me to get the ferm temps 0ut of the 60's right now, so I'm not sure that will be workable.

Just did a simcoe single hop with kolsch yeat using that same malt. Haven't kegged it yet but early indications are positive

Just did a simcoe single hop with kolsch yeast using that same malt. Haven't kegged it yet but early indications are positive

Hmmmmm, was just thinking about kolsch last night, the rye didn't occur to me. What gave you the idea to use rye in a kolsch? Wanna share the details?

I'm fermenting at basement temps, never warmer than 62 or so, so I wasn't expecting too many notes from the yeast. I thought the spice of the rye would go nice with the piney simcoe and the kolsch would just fill in the blanks, and be effective at lower temps. I actually racked a brew on top of the simcoe/rye/kolsch yeast cake that is churning now. Some golden pils lme, 1/3 lb of victory 25 steepin malts and a 1z nugget 60 minute addition, and a 1 z Hallertau 15 min addition and another one at 5 minutes. Know idea what that is gonna be like.

Lucky guy! Since tasting Big Rock's Magpie many years ago I've always wanted to make a Rye P.A., but can't get rye extract locally. Make one for me and let me know how it tastes!:D

Back