Dark Owl Sweet Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I brewed this recipe today, and I'm stoked to see how it turns out. I hit my temps on the mark, but threw in a full ounce of the Chinook by accident. Also, my software screwed up a bit and I ended up with near 6 gallons in the primary. Hit the OG with 1.050, so I'm not complaining.

Just kegged this today. I'm impatient and always burst carb, so the carbonation isn't quite what it should be yet...but either way this beer is absolutely fantastic! It's definitely going to be a house staple. I wouldn't change a single thing.

Thanks Jim!

I brewed this recipe today, and I'm stoked to see how it turns out. I hit my temps on the mark, but threw in a full ounce of the Chinook by accident. Also, my software screwed up a bit and I ended up with near 6 gallons in the primary. Hit the OG with 1.050, so I'm not complaining.

I'm glad you like it. I just brewed my dry stout yesterday, but as the weather cools I'll do this one again

I was hoping to bottle up this batch this past weekend, but was unable to. We did a complete gut-job on our kitchen and I don't have a sink. I did, however, take my first sample. FG weighs in at 1.016. I think that puts me at around 4.4% ABV. I drank the sample, and thought it was delicious.

This being my first stout, if I get the batch into bottles this coming weekend, would they be good to go by the last weekend in October? I understand that the carbing process typically takes between 2-4 weeks, but the flavors of a stout, will they be mellowed and balanced in that time frame?

What are you guys carbonating this one to? 2.0 or so?

Recipe looks tasty.

Just wanted to let you know how good this is! Best beer I've brewed to date. I made a few minor changes, but everyone who tries it gives rave reviews.

Also, I think this would be awesome if put on some chocolate nibs in the secondary. May try that at some point.

Thanks for the Reicpe!

how did you ferment this? how long in primary and at what temps? how long in secondary?

could I use target hops instead of chinook?

thanks

Me? 2 weeks in the primary... then right into kegs. It was great about a week later.

So uh...I brewed this about 2 weeks ago and revisited this thread last night and realized that I completely forgot to add the lactose :drunk:

What do you think I'm going to end up with sans the lactose?

Pic I also posted in What are you drinking now thread:
IMG_0414.jpg

Thanks for the recipe this is delicious. I could drink it everyday! :mug:

Would it be ok to use WLP029 with this recipe? I just got done making an irish red with it that turned out really good and want to reuse the yeast.

Would it be ok to use WLP029 with this recipe? I just got done making an irish red with it that turned out really good and want to reuse the yeast.

Sure, why not? On the WLP029 webpage someone mentioned using it for a stout with good results "a starbucks expresso oatmeal chocolate stout...It made the best dark beers I have made yet and definitely had a distinct German flavor."

My guess is it would turn out just fine, I'm not sure about the differences in flavor you'd get from a German vs English ale yeast.

From a BYO article.

German: more likely to get a banana/clove aroma
English: leaves a sweeter, maltier profile

Surely that is also strain dependent...and highly influenced several other factors like fermentation conditions

Sure, why not? On the WLP029 webpage someone mentioned using it for a stout with good results "a starbucks expresso oatmeal chocolate stout...It made the best dark beers I have made yet and definitely had a distinct German flavor."

My guess is it would turn out just fine, I'm not sure about the differences in flavor you'd get from a German vs English ale yeast.

From a BYO article.

German: more likely to get a banana/clove aroma
English: leaves a sweeter, maltier profile

Surely that is also strain dependent...and highly influenced several other factors like fermentation conditions

Thanks for the advice, I went with WLP005. Now I have to figure out want I want to do with the leftover WLP029 yeast in my fridge. I haven't washed it yet, should stay good for a few weeks right?

Somehow I haven't checked this thread in over a year, sorry. Kolsch yeast would be a good fit as it is fairly neutral.
I'm glad everyone likes it and reminds me it's time to brew it again

I brewed this on 12/22, took a hydro reading today (1/13) and it went from 1.064 to 1.038. I guess I have a stuck fermentation? I've had the temp set at 64°. Should I just set the temp to say 72° and it will start up again?

I had made a few small changes to this recipe. I added a 1lb of light brown sugar and used 1 1/2lbs of lactose instead of 1lb. Fermentation got off to a great start, was vigorous and lasted 3-4 days.

Any suggestions?

I brewed this on 12/22, took a hydro reading today (1/13) and it went from 1.064 to 1.038. I guess I have a stuck fermentation? I've had the temp set at 64°. Should I just set the temp to say 72° and it will start up again?

I had made a few small changes to this recipe. I added a 1lb of light brown sugar and used 1 1/2lbs of lactose instead of 1lb. Fermentation got off to a great start, was vigorous and lasted 3-4 days.

Any suggestions?

What about adding lactose after primary ferment is done? I dont have access to Lactose and want to brew this tomorrow. I was thinking of just boiling the lactose in a little water, cooling, and adding to primary after I am able to get it (probably about a week).

Back