Survey says...... (Anniversary gift suggestions)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GilaMinumBeer

Half-fast Prattlarian
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My first wife and I will be celebrating our 11th anniversary in early April and I have ABSOLUTELY NO CLUE what to get her. To date, she has given me (and herself) 2 son's. The youngest is nearly 3 months old. And last x-mas she bought me a Brew-Magic. Yes! SHE bought me....

So, in preparation I have stashed away $500.00 from a recent equipment sales and would like to use it for her Anniversary gift. BTW, she has been hinting about the day but not the desired gift.

Some guidelines;

- She loves jewelry but DOES NOT like being gifted jewelry. She'd rather shop for it herself.

- She loves shoes, bags, and clothing in general but EVERYTHING I suggest is just wrong. No matter what. Yes, boys and girls, we don't even go there with the "How does this look" BS.

- She has NO HOBBIES!

- She doesn't care for "Chotch-kies" or "Bric-a-brak". She says it's just more crap to dust.

[Edit] - She'd not tolerate having her children in the care of others for more than a few hours. She's a Mother Hen to the extreme.

[Edit] - She's also Muslima.

Over her pregnancy I got her a $200 gift card to the local masseuse. She loves massage but hasn't had the time. She loves to shop but hasn't had teh time or cash.

I could go the easy route and just drop the $500 in a nice card but, I know she'll just bank it anyway.

I have also considered just hiring the neighbor (good friends) for a couple hours to baby-sit and take her out to dinner. We haven't done that in nearly 2 years (seriously).

What to do?

Thanks for the suggestions.

How about dinner and an overnight stay in a nice hotel? You could even arrange for the hotel to have champagne and strawberries waiting, or something like that? Very romantic!

And congrats on the anniversary and your new son!

Given what you listed that she doesn't like, the hiring the friends thing sounds great. You can wine and dine her and you can both enjoy your anniversary together along with some much needed you guys time.

How about dinner and an overnight stay in a nice hotel? You could even arrange for the hotel to have champagne and strawberries waiting, or something like that? Very romantic!

that's what i would do.

get the kids taken care of for a full night, take the lady out to a nice dinner and then a bed and breakfast.

I would agree with that. Maybe a little bed and breakfast place though.

Definitely a night or weekend get away. Leave the kids at grandma's. 2 Years! You definitely need this. $500 should be plenty for a nice hotel/Bed and Breakfast, Dinner, and Go karts!

Or whatever other activity she'd prefer I guess.:D
But I'd push for the go karts.

/agree

Regarding things of this nature, the ladies of HBT are always the voice of reason.

Go karts!!! :D

I've never been to a nice B and B (or a crappy one for that matter). I've just always been leery of going somewhere where I have to face people that have heard my marmot-like mating calls the next day. I like the hotel idea because it provides more anonymity for rambunctious good times, vs. sleeping in a cozy bedroom potentially next to another couple.

But a B and B does seem more charming and cozy. :)

washing machines or garbage disposals tend to make nice anniversary gifts, right? huh, maybe that's why I'm single...

I think Parker36 has it.

I hadn't considered the B&B approach that seems to be the concensus thus far.

She'd love that!

For about 2, maaaaaybe, 3 hours and then she'd get to pining for her offspring. I might be able to "occupy" her thoughts for 5 to 15 (realistically) minutes further at that point. 20 if I include the time it takes to dis-robe. She doesn't smoke so, thats about as far as that would go.

Ayup. My wife is difficult and the epitome of the Mother Hen. She can barely get through a work day without checking-in on her children. Yes, she will drive to the daycare on her lunch hour to satiate herself and her need to verify the safety and condition of her children.

In the nearly 3 years my first has been here, we have NEVER had friends or family attend to them. We have ALWAYS adjusted our schedules or brought him (them) with.

Hence, my conundrum of WTF to do for this lady.

washing machines or garbage disposals tend to make nice anniversary gifts, right? huh, maybe that's why I'm single...

Ha. Too late! Just recently bought a new dishwasher and replaced the disposal. She wants a new double oven but, haven't found any SS Convection ovens for $500.00. Let me know if you find a new one for that price.

It's great to have a wife (or husband) that is dedicated to the children, but you really need to look at breaking that bond a little and getting her away more often. If starting out with 2 hours 15 minutes and 37seconds of alone time is the path to that, then you've got to start somewhere.

Seriously, it's a PITA to shop for women even when they do have hobbies, you never know if you are buying the right thing anyhow.

You should get her a puppy. Nothing gets along like little kids and puppies! Not only that, but it will give her another thing to baby. Trust me on this one, she will love you for it.

Go karts!!! :D

I've never been to a nice B and B (or a crappy one for that matter). I've just always been leery of going somewhere where I have to face people that have heard my marmot-like mating calls the next day. I like the hotel idea because it provides more anonymity for rambunctious good times, vs. sleeping in a cozy bedroom potentially next to another couple.

But a B and B does seem more charming and cozy. :)

Marmot like? Geesh. My girl gets into it but only in stealth mode. I think she's afraid Allah might hear her or something. :confused:

You should get her a puppy. Nothing gets along like little kids and puppies! Not only that, but it will give her another thing to baby. Trust me on this one, she will love you for it.

Ha. Thanks. Muslims aren't fond of dogs. The boy would love it, the wife might have a bigger bite.

Damn! I am screwed!

Just take her out to a nice dinner, then take her shopping for some jewelry.
$500 may not buy her much, but she'll have something to remember. Who's going to remember staying at a b&b?

Just take her out to a nice dinner, then take her shopping for some jewelry.
$500 may not buy her much, but she'll have something to remember. Who's going to remember staying at a b&b?

That will prolly be what happens. Everything else has "issues" and I got bupkiss" elsewise.

She'd remember the B&B. As long as it includes an Island, a private spa, and executive halal chef. I'd just remember the fee and how crappy the beer was.

Congrats on the strong marraige and the strong family. My buddies wife is like that.. Just meant to be a mom. It is a beautiful thing. No, she does not have any sisters.. I checked.

My suggestion would be a nice dinner at home,you cook. Then when the little ones go to bed, a card, with a letter inside telling her exactly what you have told us.

Ex.

(name)
You are an absolute gift, and mean the world to me.. You are such a loving mom to our kids, and a really good wife. As you know, you can be hard to buy gifts for..
I love you more than anything, you mean the world to me. I have $XXX. saved so that you can spoil yourself.

If this works,
you can ship the beer to me.:D at your leisure,
or I like sports authority, morebeer, or sears gift cards:D

That will prolly be what happens. Everything else has "issues" and I got bupkiss" elsewise.

She'd remember the B&B. As long as it includes an Island, a private spa, and executive halal chef. I'd just remember the fee and how crappy the beer was.

She would also remember the B&B if you knocked her up and wound up with another baby!

A good thought for the morning. Low budget and I'm sure she'll remember it. Worked for me once as the best gift I have ever given.

I went out and bought a bunch of cards. I think I got about 10 or 12. Just a quick note in each of them. Then I put them all over the house. Everywhere her normal morning routine would bring her. One in her sock drawer. One in the silverware drawer. One taped to her steering wheel. One in the bathroom. Etc, etc. So all morning long after she woke up, she found one after another surprise. It was far better than anything else I had ever gotten her, and it only cost about 20.

Even if you get something else, it's a great start to the day.

Dude!

Go romantic. Arrange for babysitting, then take her for a swank picnic followed by a hot air balloon ride. Its a beautiful thing to experience. Just dress warm.

Or go karts. All us chicks dig go karts.

Dude!

Go romantic. Arrange for babysitting, then take her for a swank picnic followed by a hot air balloon ride. Its a beautiful thing to experience. Just dress warm.

Or go karts. All us chicks dig go karts.

Back