Braggot carbing question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

User_05_28_08

Reaction score
I have made a Wheat Braggot (more of a Weizenwein Braggot), and I intend to carb it.

I have never made anything but still meads before this batch (no beers and no sparking meads/wines)... meaning... I have never carbed anything before.

When bottling time comes, do I just need to prime before bottling? Or do I need to repitch yeast when I prime?

My original gravity was 1.139 and final gravity is 1.031 (at least I THINK that is my final gravity... there has been no change in gravity for a week).

Yes to priming, no to more yeast.

What was the fermentable mix and what yeast did you use? 78% attenuation seems a bit low. I'd wait another two weeks, because braggots can be tricky to ferment. Mead yeasts will slow down when there are only complex malt sugars left. Beer yeasts start dying from alcohol poisoning.

Fermentable mix was 12lbs wildflower honey and 6lbs liquid wheat malt extract. yeast was Lalvin EC-1118.

I am not planning on bottling, for at least another week... will probably wait two weeks (am ordering caps and a capper on Friday, and will have to wait for them to come in... so I will probably wait until Saturday after next to bottle...

Should I be worried with only 78% attenuation? Is a FG of 1.031 too high to carbonate? Am I setting myself up for bottle bombs?

Have you used this yeast/honey combination before? You are well below the ABV limit for Lalvin EC-1118 and it should manage 80% for the malt and almost 100% apparent for the honey. EC-1118 is commonly used on stuck ferments, so, I'd expect a final gravity around 1.010. 1.031 is WAY too high to bottle.

Back