Oatmeal Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

k1v1116

Reaction score
I just bottled my first oatmeal stout, and I tried some of the extra from the carboy It has a very nice coffee taste and a chocolate after taste but its body is almost syrupy as this is my first oatmeal stout im not sure if this is right or if I used too high a saccharification rest (I think I aimed for 154F not all that high). the FG is 1.019 is this appropriate for the style?

recipe:
8.5 lbs Pale Ale
0.75 lbs Black Barley
0.25 LB Roast Barley
2 LB Flaked Oats
0.25 LB Chocolate
0.5 LB Crystal
Galena 0.75oz (boiling)

Wyeast irish ale

I also added a little sarsaparilla and wintergreen at boil to keep it from being boring. it doesnt show up much in the final product.

2lbs of flaked oats is quite a bit (I assume this is a 5 gallon batch) so that would explain the higher FG and the thick mouthfeel. Carbonation will change it a bit, but I'd say you got yourself a nice chewy stout. Sounds tasty! :mug:

As for it being 'appropriate', if you want to get technical then you are 1 point above the BJCP stats for an Oatmeal Stout's final gravity. However the truth of it is, that beers often go outside the spectrum of point values and are still judged to be 'in style'. It is also tied into (and really the underlying principle) revolves around what your OG was. I personally wouldn't get worried about any of that though. I like an Oatmeal Stout to be on the sweet side.

You may see that Wintergreen/Sasparilla come through in the coming months.

I have an oatmeal stout that I mashed at 158 and used 2 lbs of oatmeal. FG=1.026. Yes I was sure it was finished, but was surprised as well. After 4 weeks of bottle conditioning I got to say, its a pretty damn good, chewy stout!

I say if it tastes good to you, forget shat the style guidelines are (unless you are trying to win a competition...):mug:

Back