Berliner Weisse

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sause

Steel Comma Ale & Lagery
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ok first off if you have talk to me in the chat you would know that I'm not a fan of wheat beers. But come brew day I like to try new things so today I picked up a Berliner Weisse from Dr. Fritz Briem out of Germany. I have to say this is a great beer. Most of the wheat beers I have had had no flavor at the end but this with the souring is fantasic. Head and shoulders above any wheat beer I have ever had before. This could be my next beer if I can find some more info on the ingredients and process. And since it's a no boil beer it could make an AG batch very quick.

Do you ever listen to the Jamil Show? He is talking about Berliner Weisse on October 8th. I think it will air live on Sept. 24 or 25th and then make it up to the archive/podcast on the 8th. A lot of good information, recipe, and process.

Ryanh1801 said:
BYO, had an article on them, looked pretty interesting. What do you mean "A no boil beer" ?

It uses mash hoping and you don't boil it before it goes into the fermenter. It balances out using lactic acid instead of relying on hops. At least thats what the label says...

Ok I really want to brew this. Do you guys think that if I brewed the same style I could pitch on to this yeast cake or would you think that the bactieria would be overwhelming?

I've heard of a technique where you add the hops in the mash, do a single decoction, and then do not boil at all.
I'm planning on making a Berliner Weiss in the next few weeks, I'm not quite sure what technique I'll use to make it, but I'll post my process and results when I'm done!
I've heard if you add the lacto bacteria (such as wyeast 4335), to pitch 3-5 times more lacto than german ale yeast, and you can have the lacto starter with temps up in the 90's to get it going.

Beerrific said:
Do you ever listen to the Jamil Show? He is talking about Berliner Weisse on October 8th. I think it will air live on Sept. 24 or 25th and then make it up to the archive/podcast on the 8th. A lot of good information, recipe, and process.

I listened to it tonight. Thanks for the heads up!! I even got two of my questions answered live.

So he does boil his for 15mins. He just pitches the Lacto before the yeast to taste. No starters at all. He doesn't recomend using plastic for this unless you want to dedicate that bucket for soured beer from now on. They also have seperate tubing for soured beers. Single infusion mash at 149.

If you want to go all out and be authentic, get your hands on some woodruff syrup and pour a little into your cup before pouring the beer in there.

Iordz said:
If you want to go all out and be authentic, get your hands on some woodruff syrup and pour a little into your cup before pouring the beer in there.

This is how we had it at Falling Rock in Denver when we went to the GABF a couple years ago. Interesting beer and we now have a bottle of the syrup in our fridge :)

sause said:
Ok I really want to brew this. Do you guys think that if I brewed the same style I could pitch on to this yeast cake or would you think that the bactieria would be overwhelming?

I'm not sure about this. I would think you'd be ok b/c they would all work at the same rate and be proportionally the same. But mainly I just want to say I think it awesome you're trying this. I need to listen to Jamil on this comma and then I want to try it. With experience/input from you of course sause.

Ok tip for who ever whats to brew this. The Lacto is hard to get. Either go to your LHBS about two weeks before hand and order some. Or you will have to order some over the internet. I went to three LHBS today and nobody had some.

iamjonsharp said:
I got lacto from Northern Brewer.

That's what I had to do. I brewed this today I hope it turns out well.

Recipe:

3.5# 2-row
2.5# Wheat malt

.5oz Hallertrauer @ 15min

I pitched the Lacto without Airating but I will before I pitch the yeast. I will be waiting two days before adding the yeast.

sause said:
That's what I had to do. I brewed this today I hope it turns out well.

Recipe:

3.5# 2-row
2.5# Wheat malt

.5oz Hallertrauer @ 15min

I pitched the Lacto without Airating but I will before I pitch the yeast. I will be waiting two days before adding the yeast.

How's the Berliner Weiss going?

I just bottled my second batch today. I have to say this is a great style. I know that I'm sending out about 12 bottles of this so I'm trying not to drink this because I will run out before sending. It has a light lemony taste (probably just what I receive as the early tasting of the acid) and very sour on the back end. It's not to the point of drinking 50/50 or anything but it has a bite. Hopefully the second batch turns out as good as the first. I pitched the second batch on to the yeast cake so it did have a lower FG than the first. I suggest trying this style if you would like a GREAT summer beer. I know that I'm going to make more batches before summer thats for sure.

This deserves a :ban:.

I've been planning to brew this, and I've got a pack of lacto waiting in the fridge. I'm wondering; you think I could get by brewing this with extract and getting a good result? I've got a Friday coming up next month where I'm watching Cassie all day, I'd be able to brew in the kitchen but no way I'd be able to do a full mash. Be a good way to kill an afternoon...

So couple questions for you about this, I think I have asked you this before in the chat so there is no record:

1. What is brew to drink time line on this, in your opinion?
2. Any worry on bottling this? I know some bugs can pick up enough oxygen during the process to blow when bottling.
3. What is you yeast of choice?

I think this will be my first sour beer. I might get some going later this winter, but no later than spring.

the_Bird said:
I'm wondering; you think I could get by brewing this with extract and getting a good result?

You could but I don't know if would a low enough FG on it. But just add Wheat DME till you get your OG.

Beerrific said:
So couple questions for you about this, I think I have asked you this before in the chat so there is no record:

1. What is brew to drink time line on this, in your opinion?
2. Any worry on bottling this? I know some bugs can pick up enough oxygen during the process to blow when bottling.
3. What is you yeast of choice?

I would says that it's 4 week till bottling but after that it's like any other beer. Two weeks in the primary and secondary. No I wouldn't worry about the bugs picking up the O2 since they don't create alot of CO2 when doing their thing. I used German Ale yeast since it's fairly neutral.

Bird, I would think you could brew a BW from extract. Just get the lightest DME you can get (preferably from Pilsner malt - I know there's some 1-2L stuff out there), and go from there. It's pretty much a no boil recipe, so you don't have to worry about darkening.

TL

I hate to drop coin on extract since I already have the wheat and pils malt; I might do a mash, just take the first runnings (3 gallons or or, at around 1.055-1.060ish), boil that for fifteen minutes, then top off with two gallons in the fermenter to dilute down to 1.032-ish. Then, I can brew inside (damn stove!) and still use the new Barley Crusher!

The NEXT house, I'm going to have a *real* stove inside... :mad:

Back