BRY-97 and Gluten Free brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm definitely interested to hear your results. The LHBS just recommended I give this stuff a try, but I'm leary of going away from the tried and true S-04.

I've read very few reviews of this yeast that suggest it's significantly different than US-05, and those that do say it's different ultimately favor US-05. But still, I'm always curious to hear about new yeasts.

What I'm most interested about is that fact that it’s a fast fermenter with good tolerance for high temps. This is my recipe:

All Columbus IPA
1.4 Kg Sorghum Syrup @ 60 minutes
250g Maltodextrine @ 60 minutes
30g Columbus Hops (12% AA) @ 60 minutes
15g Columbus Hops @ 15 minutes
1 x whirlfloc tablet @ 15 minutes
1tsp Yeast nutrient @ 5 minutes
1tsp Calcium Carbonate @ 5 minutes
60g Columbus Hops @ 5 minutes
1.4 Kg Sorghum Syrup @ 0 minutes
250mL Amber Candy Syrup @ 0 minutes
*** Cold Crash ***
1 x BRY-97 West Coast Ale Yeast

Batch size 20.5L

I have a 5 gallon batch that is ready to dry hop that used this. I fermented at 64 degrees and it took 8 days to fully drop out. It's a little tighter than us05. My recipe is not too different from yours, and I think it will be pretty good. I will post my recipe in a few minutes, but I didn't think it fermented particularly fast. I purposefully kept my temps low because I wanted a very neutral, yeasty profile from this.

Thanks for posting your recipe, interested in how it turns out. Are you kegging or bottling?

Yeah my brewing is low tech at the moment. Just some ice bricks in a plastic tub.

I think you'll be more successful if you add some heat to your brew setup ;). I am low tech too, my basement just happened to be that temp for an extended period. I only have bottling capacity at the moment, but hopefully can keg soon. I have a six week old (the beers namesake) so many things are on the back burner.

Just cracked one of these after two days conditioning. It obviously still had not craned but was still the bets gluten free I have BY FAR! Great citrus notes and is very hop forward. Can't wait to see how the body fills out with the oats. The buckwheat added some complexity without any off flavors. I think that I will use fawcett malted oats next time because I have not tried them before.

Ok results are in. This produces a very clean flavour. I found that it took away the hop aroma. But flavour and bittering really come through.

A word of warning though, it produces a ****load of trub. At least 50% more than us-05. I accidentally racked some trub into my keg because I wasn't paying attention. Which means it will be fine for those who use secondary, but watch out if you just do primary.

I guess I never really updated myself. I also found hop aroma to be diminished, even after dry hopping for seven day. Finish is very clean and head retention and lacing is phenomenal. Lacing all the way up the glass. I think this is a perfect yeast for a fruit beer using flavorings that are non-fermentable because it will give that great punch of aroma but finish super clean. I am thinking I will use it to clone an apricot magic hat soon.

I guess I never really updated myself. I also found hop aroma to be diminished, even after dry hopping for seven day. Finish is very clean and head retention and lacing is phenomenal. Lacing all the way up the glass. I think this is a perfect yeast for a fruit beer using flavorings that are non-fermentable because it will give that great punch of aroma but finish super clean. I am thinking I will use it to clone an apricot magic hat soon.

In a pale ale, cream or blonde ale it would be great. Just in ipa you really need that aroma for balance

Here's the color and head 2 minutes after pour

image-2331277775.jpg

Back