Does this need some CaraPils?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EllisTX

Reaction score
Doing a Blonde that I'll be hopbursting. I'll thinking of hitting about 20 ibu with a combo of Centennial and Simcoe in the last 15 minutes. With such a light grain bill I'm thinking about adding a bit of mouthfeel with Carapils unless you think the wheat and c15 will do the trick.

5 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 47.62 %
4 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 38.10 %
1 lbs Wheat, Torrified (1.7 SRM) Grain 9.52 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 15L (15.0 SRM) Grain 4.76 %

Thanks!
Wayne:mug:

I'd probably just stick with the wheat and crystal. You definitely don't need more than 8oz of Carapils.

As long as you are mashing around 152ish, you should be fine as is. If you are mashing low, you may want to add some carapils to make sure it doesn't come out too thin.

The torrified wheat will supply the dextrins. No need for carapils + torrified wheat. That's also a lot of torrified wheat.

Thanks everyone. I'm going for a light, low alcohol beer with some body and flavor. I'm think I'm going to mash around 150 so I can get the beer to dry out. I'm hoping the wheat will add the body I'm looking for.

The torrified wheat will supply the dextrins. No need for carapils + torrified wheat. That's also a lot of torrified wheat.

For the record in case you're keeping score, the finished product has a bit more mouthfeel than I wanted. Good call on the torrified wheat being high. It finished at 1.010 but the mouthfeel is more like a 1.016/18 beer.

Back