Rare earth magnet question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I picked up 10 5mm Dia x 3mm thick Rare Earth magnets from these guys http://stores.ebay.com/bluestone002 on ebay.

I just installed them on my DIY stirplate and they worked well with my 1" stir bar when placed directly on top of the stir plate. I dont have a flat bottom glass container to test it out with.

I probably have 1/8" (3mm) gap between my magnets and bottom side of my cigar box. The cigar box top is probably 1/8"

I used a hard drive magnet, I think if your using two of them you should be okay. I also use a 1" stir bar and a few of the containers i use don't have flat bottomes but the stir bar stays in place. I even used a 1 gal jug a couple times and the 1" stir bar worked fine.

If I could find a hard drive that would have been first choice but it seems like when you need something you can't remember where you put it. I was going to use two or three of these magnets instead.

I just ordered similar ones in 7/16 from a different site. They may be magnets4less but they are shipping for more. They tacked five bucks on my order for being less than five dollars and the minimum shipping they offered was ten dollars. Seems a bit steep to me .

Hardware store velcro with a sticky-back works great for trying magnets. You can cover the top circle of the fan with the fuzzy part and the plastic part hook part trimmed to the magnet. It's strong enough of a bond to leave in your final configuration, never need glue.

Improved Stirplate_Pic 3.jpg
Improved Stirplate_Pic 1.jpg

I used 2 hard drive magnets. If you're glueing them to a computer fan, you need to install a non metallic spacer of about 1/2" thick so the magnets won't interfere with the magnets in the motor.

I was able to get my stirplate working last night. Picked up these from local harbor freight and stacked them 4 high. Had issues with it throwing the stir bar so i replaced my 12V power supply with a 5V supply. Tried a 9V and still had issues with the stir bar.

Video

Latest posts

Back