Anyone thought of maybe a Coffee and Donut Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hillybilly

Reaction score
I saw that the Brooklyn Brew Shop had a 1 gallon kit of Coffee and Donut Stout it's 15 bucks and even though I started with their kit and they got me into brewing I know that is too too expensive I am just wondering has anyone tried anything like this if so do you have a good recipe? The coffee and coconut sounds really good to me.

I saw that the Brooklyn Brew Shop had a 1 gallon kit of Coffee and Donut Stout it's 15 bucks and even though I started with their kit and they got me into brewing I know that is too too expensive

Times must be tough in the hills.

Here's the recipe:
2 1/4 quarts H2O + 1 gal for sprage
1.5# pale ale malt
.3# Caramel 40
.2# Caramel 120
.1# Chocolate malt
.1# flaked oats

.3oz Challenger hops divided into sixths
1/2 cup flaked unsweetened coconut
1/4 cup coffee beans, crushed
1/3 cup packed lt brown sugar

1/2 packet Belgian ale yeast (e.g., Safale S-33)

Bottle w/ 3 Tablespoons maple syrup

Steep grains in 2.25 qts H2O @ 144F-152F for 60 mins. Raise temp to 170 for 10 mins.

Sparge with 1 gal H2O @ 170F.

Boil.
Add 2 sixths challeneger hops @ 60 mins
Add 1 sixth challenger hops @ 45 mins
Add 1 sixth Challenger hops @ 30 mins
Add flaked coconut @ 20 mins
add 1 sixth Challenger hops @ 15 mins
add coffee beans @ 10 mins
add 1 sixth Challenger hops @ 5 mins
add light brown sugar at flame out
cool to 70F, pitch yeast

No way this is less expensive than buying the kit from them unless you already happen to have the ingredients lying around. But have fun!

I would just use a regular coffee stout recipe, but get a few dozen donut holes from my local bakery and toss them in somewhere. Maybe the mash tun.

$15 for a 1-gallon batch = $75 for a 5-gallon batch

I've seen recipes for Coconut Stout (search HBT & see what I mean - lotsa threads). Seems you could add coffee to the recipe, and prime with maple syrup.

The threads I read warned that the coconut element can be tricky in a few ways: 1) If you use flaked coconut, you have to get the amount right or you won't taste it at all; 2) Be careful of the fats from the coconut -- toasting helps; 3) The coconut flavor goes away after a while; 4) Going the coconut extract route, an artificial flavoring can taste fake and perfumey but may last longer (I think this can be alleviated by using real natural coconut extract, not artificial flavor)

I've never done a coconut stout/porter, so I recommend you read the threads rather than take my word for it. :cross:

Good luck! Sounds yummy.

On the cheap? I would make a coffee stout/breakfast stout and fortify it with some "cake flavored vodka" and then toast up some coconut and soak the coconut in said vodka. Then rack the beer onto the coconut and vodka. how much to use? I have no idea...

I'm glad someone posted the recipe because I was looking at buying their kit but would rather buy the ingredients from my LHBS.

Latest posts

Back