Alzheimer's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CreamyGoodness

Reaction score
Sorry ahead of time folks, I had planned on posting something funny, but thats just not going to happen.

Does anyone have any experience in getting help from the Veterans bureau or related association?

My grandparents have both been diagnosed with alzheimers and vascular dementia. Because of this and a variety of other health issues they have been entirely incapable of carrying out the most simple of tasks.

My father has been forced to stop working, and has been taking care of them nonstep all day every day for the past 15 months. To say he is burned out is an understatement.

Does anyone know if we could get cheap or free inhouse care through the veterans' bureau? Any suggestions? My grandfather has a pretty decent pension, but its still not enough to stretch very long for an assisted living situation...

Thanks in advance if anyone knows anything.

On a lighter note, doesnt this smiley face look just like Ron Paul? :eek:

I'll ask my wife. Her grandpa was a WWII vet and had dementia. I want to tease her about her about it running in the family, but I'm going to save it for when she's older. I think it will be more topical then.

This sort of thing really can wear on you. I watched my grandmother deteriorate because of the 7-days-a-week care she gave to her mother (my great-grandmother). In the three-year stretch between when my great-grandmother started needing full-time assistance and when she died, I could visibly measure the toll it took on my grandmother. And that's with some nursing home assistance too.

My great-grandmother did not have Alzheimer's disease, but she did have a form of dementia. It's hard to see someone you love fall victim to this sort of thing. It robs a person of who they really are and places an immense burden on the people responsible for their care.

My heart goes out to your family!

I'm sorry I can't help with the Veterans assistance. I just wanted to extend my support to you. My parents moved my grandparents in with us, grandmother with alzheimer's, grandfather senile dementia, when I was in college. Watching the toll the disease took on them, and the stress on my parents (especially my mother) was very difficult. My thoughts and prayers go out for you and your family.

Sorry ahead of time folks, I had planned on posting something funny, but thats just not going to happen.

Does anyone have any experience in getting help from the Veterans bureau or related association?

My grandparents have both been diagnosed with alzheimers and vascular dementia. Because of this and a variety of other health issues they have been entirely incapable of carrying out the most simple of tasks.

My father has been forced to stop working, and has been taking care of them nonstep all day every day for the past 15 months. To say he is burned out is an understatement.

Does anyone know if we could get cheap or free inhouse care through the veterans' bureau? Any suggestions? My grandfather has a pretty decent pension, but its still not enough to stretch very long for an assisted living situation...

Thanks in advance if anyone knows anything.

On a lighter note, doesnt this smiley face look just like Ron Paul? :eek:

I am sorry to hear that. I dont know what I can say. Your dad is a good man.

I dont know if they can help with both, or not. I do know you do need to contact the VA. This kind of stuff is what they do for vets. Their spouse? I dunno.

oh and what about Ron Paul?:mad:

Unfortunately nobody in my wife's family can offer any advice. By the time her grandpa was far enough along for the dementia to be a problem he was already in an assisted living home, so there wasn't much for them to do but to visit him.

If I were you I'd start by getting online and making call after call after call. Definitely call the VA and start asking questions. There has to be some good resources out there. I'd guess like everything else you might have to talk to a BUNCH of people to get anywhere.

Just spoke to my dad. Grandma's heart is giving out. Looks like we have another 2 weeks on the high side. With the exceptions of hunger and arrousal I am feeling every feeling a person can feel all at once.

thanks for listening.

This story struck a chord as I just went through it in August with my grandfather. He was in an Alzheimer's unit of an assisted living home for seven years. In June, he developed an infection. Around mid-August he stopped eating and drinking and passed away on the 24th.

With those aliments, news like that is both a blessing and a curse. A bit of relief can be found in knowing they no longer have to suffer but it still sucks for those of us who miss the pleasant company.

When I went to the church for the funeral, I had thought I had already grieved about 5 years ago when I was no longer recognized. I was wrong but the funeral was a very cathartic experience for me. That was the first time that happened to me.

Sorry to hear though.

Grandma still recognizes me, and seems happy to see me, but she sleeps all day long, and can barely move. She's suffered every indignity that a proud woman can suffer. Largely, I have been selfishly avoiding seeing her because its so heartbreaking, and I have instead channeled that energy into anger at the doctors who have kept her alive but have made her last years so grotesque.

She couldnt go to my wedding, and couldnt even look at the pictures.

I didnt make it to see her this weekend. When I got home my wife let me know grandma passed. Instead of facing my father, I am on HBT with a Guinness... hiding more than anything.

I am an RN at an assisted living place (for the time being, as I am awaiting a hospital job) that cares for the mentally impaired (i.e Alzheimer's and dementia). I cannot speak on the VA part but I can speak on the care aspect. For one, I believe the medication use is futile and the only meds that those with mental impairment should be on are to stop/control pain and control the associated aggression. I also find that there is nothing wrong with not visiting a family member when they cease to recognize you, as they, their conscious self, is not the person you knew and just a "shell". This job takes so much out of me spending every day watching people slowing deteriorating and speaking with the families. All you can do is remember the past and do your best, man. You can't change reality so make the best of it instead of hurting yourself.
Also FYI: It will most likely be infinitely cheaper to have in-home nursing than to be in a facility. Here it costs $7000/m minimum but I am sure the VA helps that.

I am an RN at an assisted living place (for the time being, as I am awaiting a hospital job) that cares for the mentally impaired (i.e Alzheimer's and dementia). I cannot speak on the VA part but I can speak on the care aspect. For one, I believe the medication use is futile and the only meds that those with mental impairment should be on are to stop/control pain and control the associated aggression. I also find that there is nothing wrong with not visiting a family member when they cease to recognize you, as they, their conscious self, is not the person you knew and just a "shell". This job takes so much out of me spending every day watching people slowing deteriorating and speaking with the families. All you can do is remember the past and do your best, man. You can't change reality so make the best of it instead of hurting yourself.
Also FYI: It will most likely be infinitely cheaper to have in-home nursing than to be in a facility. Here it costs $7000/m minimum but I am sure the VA helps that.

Thank you for your help. The only thing I will say re: meds is my grandfather has been on a patch (I wish I remembered the name) that has definitely helped him remain quite a bit sharper. There was marked improvement. While its a very personal decision from family to family, I think medical science needs to get better at recognizing that there comes a point that all treatment is less humane than pain management.

CreamyGoodness said:
Thank you for your help. The only thing I will say re: meds is my grandfather has been on a patch (I wish I remembered the name) that has definitely helped him remain quite a bit sharper. There was marked improvement. While its a very personal decision from family to family, I think medical science needs to get better at recognizing that there comes a point that all treatment is less humane than pain management.

It was probably exelon(rivastigmine) the problem is doctors/families tend to keep people on these types of meds when they reach the point where they no longer can remember you. A patient of mine pays $400 a month for her patches

Sorry Creamy,
I lost a grandma to alzheimers 2 years ago. Its hard seeing them in that state. I'm glad she's not suffering any longer.

I'll lift a pint to her good memories.

My condolencses Creamy. I don't know you or yours but my heart goes out to you! I have been at sea for the passing of many of my older relatives and I was hospitalized when my mother contracted brain cancer and passed. I never saw any of them in their 'degenerated state' and so my memories of them are when they were still full and wonderful to me.
Prayers from my family to yours!

Sorry to hear this. The doctor kept my dad on life support weeks after it was hopeless. Finally, my mom asked him point-blank about the chance of recovery. When told it was zero, she demanded that the gear be shut off and "Let God decide." He didn't last an hour on his own.

Back