Outdoor Brewing - Windscreen for Propane Burner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martin30R

Reaction score
Hey Everyone -

I recently got into brewing larger batches, and I'm now using a Bayou Classic Banjo Cooker. I find that on windy days, I'm losing a lot of heat due to the wind. I assume that everyone has this problem - what did you do about it?

Thanks!

You can build a wind screen out of some metal sheeting fairly simply.

I need to do the same thing. My last brew suffered from the wind issues.

Do not use a folding table as a windscreen.

Yup. Set up a wind screen around the burner. I used sheet metal cases from hold server class computers. Another option is to use aluminum flashing. Just make sure you burn off the lacquer coating before brewing.

You can build a wind screen out of some metal sheeting fairly simply.

I need to do the same thing. My last brew suffered from the wind issues.

Do not use a folding table as a windscreen.

HAHA! This.

You can also cut a cross-section of a dead/leaky/damaged cornie if it is the right diameter for the burners you are using.

A pair of tin snips and some sheet metal or hvac adapters/collars could do the job. I need to get on this project myself. My brew last week was horrible with the wind. I think I restarted my burner about a dozen times. I had every scrap piece of wood in my backyard balanced around my burner and kettle. It must have been a strange sight for the neighbors. Another idea is having a back up brew spot, like the garage as long as ventilation is decent. Cheers!

I haven't gotten around to it yet but I'm going to buy a metal garbage can and cut the bottom off for my wind screen.

I haven't gotten around to it yet but I'm going to buy a metal garbage can and cut the bottom off for my wind screen.

Used a metal trash can for several years. Works great even during horizontal snow fall. Also use it in the summer to reduce fuel consumption. Completely non-intrusive.

Went though this myself on my new burner that I got Monday. Mine is the SQ-14. I did an exact copy of another board member. Just get a "duct starter" that is the same diameter as your burner and crimp it around the burner with the built in tabs. Cost about 5 bucks and takes about 1 minute to install.

Here are a few pics of mine to give you an idea. For what it's worth, this passes the leaf blower at 10 feet away test.

IMG_0083.jpg

IMG_0081.jpg

IMG_0082.jpg

I run into the wind problem in the spring here. I just put aluminum foil around the burner. Cheap but works very well.

I run into the wind problem in the spring here. I just put aluminum foil around the burner. Cheap but works very well.

Really? I tried that one time and it melted. Was not pretty. Maybe I should have used some name brand stuff.

I found a SS stock pot thats the exact diameter of my burner, gotta cut it in half and have one for each burner, maybe even enough for a 3rd of i go that route

Used a metal trash can for several years. Works great even during horizontal snow fall. Also use it in the summer to reduce fuel consumption. Completely non-intrusive.
This.
An ideal wind screen will be larger than your kettle and overlap up past the base of the kettle. Its not just about screening the burner flame.

An efficient wind screen should contain the rising heat and hot gases from the burner and keep them from blowing away from the kettle base.

Back