MyHerms project

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goingmad

Reaction score
Hello all!

Before proceeding I really need to better focus if my actual idea is the right one. 70% of the system components have been already bought, not the valves yet.

I'm going to build an usual 1 tier 3 kettles Herms, with gas burners for the HLT and the BK and a counterflow chiller at the end of the process.

Two March pumps already here waiting to be switched on

I'd like to automate as much as I could with brewtroller

Some images will explain much better my current understanding of the process (thanks to this forum and the brewtroller as well). Let's see some!

phase1.002.png

phase2.003.png

phase3.004.png

phase4.004.png

phase5.005.png

I'm not detailing here the firing of the burners and the two different phases for sparging out.

I'm going to choose both two ways and three ways valves, the same found in the oscsys store.

If useful for anyone, here is the ppt file with the slides.

What do you think? Any correction to make?

Happy brewing time!

g_m

There's issues with your "phase 4".

You won't be able to purge the HLT HEX or pump with clean water.

I use pump two for recircing the water in the HLT, or filling the MT with strike water only.
Pump one is for HERMS recirc, sparge flushing the HEX coil, and chiller.

You'll find the system MUCH easier to clean and maintain if during sparge you can route the HLT out to the HERMS input, and then into the MT input.
You need to figure out how to get HLT out to Pump one in

"Phase 3" Have P2 on recirculating HLT for more uniform temp. And luhrks is right, use one pump for water only.

Thanks guys!

As for the phase 3, I already had this in mind, just not showed up in the slide.
You are absolutely right also concerning the P2 just for water best use. I'll try to find different better flows around P1 and P2.

Did you ever find a source for 3-way valves? OSCC hasn't had them in stock since I've been searching. I did a similar plumbing diagram HERE, but it's very rough, and I'm trying to make it efficient to eliminate unnecessary valves and such.

Did you ever find a source for 3-way valves? OSCC hasn't had them in stock since I've been searching. I did a similar plumbing diagram HERE, but it's very rough, and I'm trying to make it efficient to eliminate unnecessary valves and such.

Sorry for delay in answering!

Yes, I've found a different source for both two and three ways valves. Here you can see I've successfully made them to work with the original 16 channels relay board from bt store.

This is the website where I've found what I was looking for, even cheaper. Write to [email protected] asking what you are looking for, they give a very fast support. My 3 ways valve code is CWX-60P, in brass.

If you need more info, I'm here! :D

cheers

gm

How are the CWX pumps holding up? I also found these and was wondering how the quality was. System looks great by the way!

From what I can see they are ok, not already tested ia a live environment. They come with 3 wires, the same as the two ways valves.

Very soon I will start seriously the build, the last bricks of the wall are coming in the next days!

Feel free to ask anything you may need to know.

gm

Hello all,

taking a better look at my schemas, following the suggestion here received and a specific question from a hbt user, I have searched and found an alternative solution, in order to clean every single part with water. And, btw, it seems that this solution will allow to save one 2 way valve in the part list.

Just matter of finishing my build and test if everything will work as expected.

Cheers

gm

MyHerms%20V2.001.jpg

MyHerms%20V2.002.jpg

MyHerms%20V2.003.jpg

MyHerms%20V2.004.jpg

MyHerms%20V2.005.jpg

MyHerms%20V2.006.jpg

MyHerms%20V2.007.jpg

MyHerms%20V2.008.jpg

MyHerms%20V2.009.jpg

MyHerms%20V2.010.jpg

MyHerms%20V2.011.jpg

Hi Lumpyyyyy!

In the first post of this thread I had left the link to a power point file you could find useful for your needs.
That is not updated with my last version, just let me know if you need it.
I work with mac, the original file was in apple keynote format, then converted to power point for a wider audience.

hope this helps

cheers

gm

How do you plan on sanitizing the counter flow chiller? Why not just chill using the existent coil in the hlt? That's what most do with the herms setup

How do you plan on sanitizing the counter flow chiller? Why not just chill using the existent coil in the hlt? That's what most do with the herms setup

Water, water, water and finally sanitizing solution all along the hoses, valves and coils. I've seen also other way to cool down the wort, as you point out, but in my brief experience I've found very efficient the counterflow solution.

tally350z said:
Why not just chill using the existent coil in the hlt? That's what most do with the herms setup

I don't do that. I actually don't know any herms users that do personally.

Thats what I do. During the boil, drain the HLT... then as the boil get close to the end fill the HLT with 40lbs of ice (I use keggles) and fill with water, It's very efficient. IMHO, having a CF chiller as well as a coil in the HERMS is redundant. I don't believe there is a right or wrong way, just different ways of accomplishing the same thing.

I really like your setup.

What I did notice is in Phase 5 & Phase 6 you have Pump 1 used for both processes. In doing so you will be unable to fly sparge, do you fly sparge or batch sparge?

Back