Too much carapils? what happens?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SRFeldman79

Beverage Consultant/Sales Rep
Reaction score
I just ordered a homemade recipe from AustinHomebrew. Accidentally got 1.5 lbs of Carapils in the recipe bag, instead of 0.5, and noticed it too late to correct it.

I am tempted to just go ahead and use the recipe, but does anyone know what happens with too much carapils? Weird flavors? extra graininess? Heads that never settle? I think you're supposed to limit carapils to 5% and i'm looking at roughly 13.5%

It'll probably be a bit less fermentable. You could probably correct for it by mashing a couple degrees lower. I'm no expert, though.. never tried making a beer with too much carapils. If you're really worried about it, you could just order the same recipe again sans carapils and make 10 gallons with a friend. :p

I just ordered a homemade recipe from AustinHomebrew. Accidentally got 1.5 lbs of Carapils in the recipe bag, instead of 0.5, and noticed it too late to correct it.

I am tempted to just go ahead and use the recipe, but does anyone know what happens with too much carapils? Weird flavors? extra graininess? Heads that never settle? I think you're supposed to limit carapils to 5% and i'm looking at roughly 13.5%

Is there some reason why you have to use the entire 1.5bls rather than holding back 1lb for another brew day?

Yeah, AustinHomebrew is so rad they assemble your stuff in recipe bags if you indicate such. I did, not realizing I'd made the error of 1.5 carapils instead 0.5 carapils. So basically, it's already in the bag with my pilsner and rye malts.

I was thinking of mashing lower. I usually mash at 158, mostly out of habit, since I'm no expert on mashing levels (I do partial/mini-mash beers, so I'm not as concerned about efficiency as you all-grain guys). I could do the mash at 154 and hope that compensates.

Love the buy the same recipe without carapils and make 10 gallons idea, but don't have the necessary space for brewing 10 in my apartment. Could of course combined the orders, thoroughly mix them together, and then split it back in half.

SRFeldman79 said:
I was thinking of mashing lower. I usually mash at 158, mostly out of habit, since I'm no expert on mashing levels (I do partial/mini-mash beers, so I'm not as concerned about efficiency as you all-grain guys). I could do the mash at 154 and hope that compensates.

Love the buy the same recipe without carapils and make 10 gallons idea, but don't have the necessary space for brewing 10 in my apartment. Could of course combined the orders, thoroughly mix them together, and then split it back in half.

158 is too high bud. Try 152-154. Although This will not help to convert the Cara-pils.

You can use a vial of White Labs Ultra-Ferm in the mash (I'd add it about halfway through) to break up some of the unfermentable dextrins into fermentable sugars. If you don't have any or can't find it, Beano will do in a pinch, but I don't know what temperature it works at best. Whatever enzyme you decide on, use it pre-boil, otherwise it'll keep in working and leave you with a very thin beer.

Yeah, AustinHomebrew is so rad they assemble your stuff in recipe bags if you indicate such. I did, not realizing I'd made the error of 1.5 carapils instead 0.5 carapils. So basically, it's already in the bag with my pilsner and rye malts.

Thanks. Haven't ever bought a kit from them. Didn't realize the grains came pre-mixed.

I'm not really trying to convert the Carapils, I just wonder what almost 3 times the normal amount of it will do to the beer.

Northbay - they do that for non-kits as well, with a drop down menu to have all the stuff you want added to a combined bag. All optional. I forget his name, but one of the guys from there used to be on here, super cool dude.

Celticway - I mash high for a reason (sort of explained above). I am adding plenty of fermentables via extract, the mash is for a wort with good body.

Thanks. Haven't ever bought a kit from them. Didn't realize the grains came pre-mixed.

They've got an option that allows you to build up to 9 grain bills, so that each one comes in a single bag. It's a great option when buying specialty grains for multiple batches, rather than trying to measure them yourself later on.

Iv been playing around with carapils alot lately, and i really dont think an extra lb of it will be detrimental. I dont think you even need to change your mashing procedure, as long as your in the good middle range, maybe just mash a bit longer.

the only thing i could think of is it might be a tiny bit sweeter then you'd want. add some more hops.

I recently screwed up an all grain recipe and put in something like 35% carapils. It's not good...but, it's still better than fizzy yellow stuff.
Increase your hops slightly and if you are using extracts, you can increase that as well...add some extra light DME. And I think a bit higher temp for fermentation will help but all that;s just a wild guess. and what I will do when I screw up like that again. :mad:

They've got an option that allows you to build up to 9 grain bills, so that each one comes in a single bag. It's a great option when buying specialty grains for multiple batches, rather than trying to measure them yourself later on.

I will have to check out their website. My LHBS doesn't carry much in the way of grains.

Can't really blame them, I guess. They are in Napa so their main focus is on wine.

The amount of crystal/carapils depends on what recipe style you are going for.. but plenty of folks use 10%, 15% or more crystal malts in their recipes. Carapils will mostly add body & head forming dextrins. It should have very little impact on flavor. Your recipe should be just fine...

To compensate for the extra body, you no longer need to be at 158-F mash temp... that is generally used for beers needing heavy body. Unless you are doing a stout or something heavy, I would mash around 150-152 -F. At the lower temps, more of the grain starch will convert into fermentable sugars. The carapils only adds unfermentable sugars.

Relax, don't worry & have a happy brew day! :mug:
--LexusChris

Latest posts

Back