Anyone have a good 21st amendment Bitter American Recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjjn

Reaction score
I have seen a few around but they don't use the actual malts/hops listed on the 21-A site.

BitterAmerican.jpg

Hoping to start working on a clone as it's sold out around by me for the season. I'll start filling in the blanks as I find the info, but if anyone has anything to add I'd appreciate it.

Bitter American - 42 IBU - 4.4% ABV

SG -
FG -

GRIST
Simpson's Golden Promise -
Rahr 2-row Pale -
Global Munich -
Crisp Crystal Malt 43 -
Crisp Crystal Malt 15 -

BOIL HOPS
Warrior -
Cascade -

DRY HOPS
Simcoe -
Cascade -

YEAST
White Labs or Wyeast

Fermentation Temp/Length

I really like these low gravity APAs (American Bitters, or whatever you want to call them). I’ve brewed a couple, great to get your hop kick without the high alcohol of an IPA.

I'd do something like 85% GP, 10% Munich, 5% medium crystal. OG is probably around 1.044 which puts the FG at 1.011. Mash around 150 F for 60 minutes. Bitter to 42 IBUs with the Warrior, followed by a big dose of cascade at the end of the boil. Ferment with 001/1056 keeping the temperature in the high 60s (wort temperature). Let it finish out and then load it up with a couple ounces of Simcoe and Cascade for a week or two before bottling.

I think they are using Nor'Cal bitters as the designation du jour. But whatever it's called, I'm loving it. Definitely my favorite beer right now and also the reason (along with Saisons) that I started brewing.

Enjoying one right now at Mugs Ale House in Brooklyn.

2011-04-22152500-1.jpg

OK, the 21a extract kit is bottled! Should be ready by super bowl (not that I actively plan to watch it, though I probably will, it's more of a coincidence)

One question.... I noticed it got cold one night (probably 50 degrees in my house)... then noticed that all of my bottles have sediment that settled not only on the bottom but also on the sides (all bottles in a 6pack have the sediment on one side... like moss growing on a tree pointing north).

Is the sediment on the side yeast? Sugar? migrating to warmth? LOL It seems like a strange thing but even in a singular bottle sitting near the 6 pack the sediment is pointing to the proverbial north.. Any one know what that is?

AND should I be taking more precaution to keep the bottled beer warmer?

OK read around the forums a bit on the sediment on the sides of bottles issue - I'm not going to stress it as I'm sure this won;t affect the beer negatively. (in other words in my 3rd post ever on the forum I realize that is something of a new to brewing type question, I'm only on my 4th batch ever)

I'm about 7 days from bottling the morebeer 21a extract kit. REALLY looking forward to this one.

what does the kid use? which grains, DME/LME, hops....??? Thirsty minds want to know:mug:

I hope you're happy with it...I'm waiting on an ESB right now..but want a session IPA

Found a site with a guy trying the same thing. He heard interview with Shaun O’Sullivan from 21A and got some great info...

Improving my Bitter American clone | Hopwise Brewery

The beer just went into year round availability and I look forward to trying out a clone and comparing side by side.

I'm the guy that worked on that recipe. My second attempt at a Bitter American clone just finished and I've put up my tasting notes: Tasting: The Sociable (Batch #31) | Hopwise Brewery

It's still not an exact clone, but it's closer. I tweaked the recipe further, should anyone want to give it a try: Hopville . "Bitter American Clone v3" American Pale Ale Recipe

I feel like the main dry hop flavor I get is the simcoe. I get barely any centennial. BUT I'm drinking my first one... from the can. No pint glass at the moment. So I think that simcoe should at least by equal to centennial on the dry hop, but that's just, like, my opinion man.

this is a really tasty beer. I also pick up on a rather thick mouth feel, giving me the impression of a higher temperature mash, maybe 156 or so but I'm no expert.

I feel like the main dry hop flavor I get is the simcoe. I get barely any centennial. BUT I'm drinking my first one... from the can. No pint glass at the moment. So I think that simcoe should at least by equal to centennial on the dry hop, but that's just, like, my opinion man.

this is a really tasty beer. I also pick up on a rather thick mouth feel, giving me the impression of a higher temperature mash, maybe 156 or so but I'm no expert.

I went with 2:1 Centennial/Simcoe only because Shaun O'Sullivan said in an interview that it was their standard dry-hop mix that they used on most of their beers. It's possible that Bitter American gets a different mix, though.

There is no Centennial in the beer. Should be Warrior, Cascade and Simcoe per the website.

Apologies my friend, don't know what I was looking at...well this will be my Super BOWL beer so I will reacquaint myself with the Centennial aromas. That and Founders CIPA...

FYI folks, BYO magazine has the recipe in this month's issue. in the Clone from Cans article.

FYI folks, BYO magazine has the recipe in this month's issue. in the Clone from Cans article.

Awesome. Do you have a link or a copy? I'm very interested!

PS: 21st amendment mentioned that they're coming up with a new hops bill since simcoe is basically out of stock everywhere.

7lb maris otter or 5 lbs of ultra light dme for partial mash
1lb munich
8 oz crystal 40l
8 oz crystal 15l

1 oz cascade 90 min
1 oz liberty 15 min
1 oz cascade 1 min

1 oz cascade( 3-7 day dry hop)
1 oz willamette ( 3-7 day dry hop)

OG 1.047
American ale yeast (wyeast)
Half a tablet of whirfloc

Im just wondering why they didnt put warrior hops and simpsons golden promise like should be

Back