Brewery Interview

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dedhedjed

Reaction score
So here's a question for anyone that has worked in a commercial brewery...
I have an interview/meeting tomorrow (weather permitting, TN is going to get a lot of snow) with the head brewer for a new startup production brewery in Nashville. The head brewer has been very gracious in all of my correspondence with her (yes, a woman), and she used to be a homebrewer. I'm meeting with her to discuss volunteering my time in the coming months as they get ready to open the doors, and then there might be the possibility of a paid gig.

Here's the question...would you bring any of your own beer to give the brewer? We're meeting at a bar so obviously we won't need anything to drink during the interview... thoughts?

This gig is about the brewery and your volunteering there, not about your brew. Get in the door and do some work for them and when the time is right and you're chatting it up about home brew, offer to bring some of yours in. I definitely wouldn't take it to the interview/meeting.

Couldn't agree more. You'd be interviewing for a position brewing *their* beer. Your recipe design skills are most likely not relevant. If you're hired, and they haven't finalized recipes yet, that would be the time to make the offer.

While I agree with the above, one might consider those bottles to be a liquid resume.

See that's where i'm kind of torn. I have no illusions of having an impact on their recipes, but I also don't have any sort of commercial brewing resume. All I have to show any competence about beer is my beer...that said I don't imagine it takes much of a resume to clean kegs and scrub tanks...

Thanks for the responses, folks...other opinions?

You are volunteering and they are just starting out? Pretty sure they'll accept the help. If you have any mechanical skills/backround be sure to bring that up. If you can fix and build stuff you'll get the "job". Talk about homebrew, don't bring it this time. You'll have plenty of opportunities for that in the future.

Latest posts

Back