Filtering post boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goybar

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have recently started to use the BIAB method for all grain brewing.

This weekend I made a 5 gallon batch of doppelbock.

It is extremely cloudy.

I used 1 tablet of whirlflock with about 4 minutes left in the boil. I used a hop bag.

Chilled from boiling to ~80* in less than 10 minutes.

I whirl-pooled the chilled wort with my mash paddle/spoon and let stand for 20 minutes.

The cloudy wort only settled a couple of inches.

I dumped everything into the fermenter and brought it down to 40*.

Now there is 4-5 inches of cloudy material on the bottom of the fermenter.

I'm not sure if it will adversely affect the beer or not.

Can I filter the wort on the way out of the boil kettle and into the fermenter?

Will this cause any issues? Not recommended for any reason?

I was planning on purchasing a filter to filter after fermentation and on the way into the keg.

Chris

I filtered my last batch going from the BK to a carboy. I originally purchased a funnel with a screen but the mesh in the funnel was so fine it was constantly clogged so I purchased a stainless steel strainer with a handle from my LHBS. That worked really well. I still kept the screen in the funnel since the mesh is smaller than the strainer but it did not clog nearly as bad after adding the strainer. Just remember to keep a bucket of clean water and a bucket of sanitizer easily accessible to rise and re-sterilize to clear a clog.

When using a strainer, my wife usually holds the strainer (sanitized) and uses a sanitized kitchen spoon to scrape the hops/trub around and let the liquid pass through. When the strainer is full, she scrapes all the solids into a bowl. That works fairly well, but a lot of fine sediment still passes through.

The last batch I used a siphon to move the wort from the boil kettle to the fermenter and it worked really well.

Filtering out trub is very difficult. A hop back does a good job.

Your probably better off letting it all settle out and then racking it to another fermeneter.

OR

just leave it in there and RDWHAHB. I don't think it makes a huge difference in the finished beer.

I pour my cooled wort into my bottling bucket that is lined with a 5 gal paint strainer bag. Open the spigot to drain into the carboy, remove the bag. Easy.

I use a hop back loaded with rice hulls. Keeps anything but clear wort from reaching my plate chiller which empties directly into the fermenter.

I use a hop back loaded with rice hulls. Keeps anything but clear wort from reaching my plate chiller.

That's a cool idea. How do you santize the rice hulls? Do you boil them first or just recirculate some of the boiling wort thru the hop back?

I recirculate until I see the batch temp dropping down near the 140*F mark then I shoot straight through.

IMG_0791.JPG

i am having a problem with to much trub. i use a screener with a handle that i purchased from my lhbs. i make sure that there is 5 gallons in my primary and then when i transfer to secondary theres always trub and sediment up to the gallon marker. what does everyone do to prevent that? i am always very close to OG of each recipe I have done

i am having a problem with to much trub. i use a screener with a handle that i purchased from my lhbs. i make sure that there is 5 gallons in my primary and then when i transfer to secondary theres always trub and sediment up to the gallon marker. what does everyone do to prevent that? i am always very close to OG of each recipe I have done

Put 6 gallons in your primary that way when you leave a gallon behind for trub and yeast you still have 5 gallons of finished beer

Also, don't use a secondary.

Do you use this technique with the paint strainer bag for a single stage fermentation or do you still go ahead with a second stage?

Do you use this technique with the paint strainer bag for a single stage fermentation or do you still go ahead with a second stage?
I only do a Primary & only strain the chilled wort prior to fermentation.

When using a strainer, my wife usually holds the strainer (sanitized) and uses a sanitized kitchen spoon to scrape the hops/trub around and let the liquid pass through. When the strainer is full, she scrapes all the solids into a bowl. That works fairly well, but a lot of fine sediment still passes through.

I have used this method since I started with the same results. After my last batch I decided It was time for something that will help with the fine particles. Next batch is getting a new method.

Whirlfloc tab + newly constructed hop spider(thanks HBT) + strainer + 5gal strainer bag in bucket

The strainer bag technique works pretty well, but it will still get clogged. Personally, I siphon off as much clear wort as possible and then when it gets down to the last gallon or so, I'll pour it into the strainer bag. I still have to work the bag around so the muck can make contact with un-clogged bag surface and strain through. Make sure the bag is sterile as well as your hands.

I recirculate until I see the batch temp dropping down near the 140*F mark then I shoot straight through.

IMG_0791.JPG

So, I assume that you don't have any sort of screening in your BK, you just dump to the colander full of rice hulls? What quantity of rice hulls for what batch size? I also assume that you mean you gravity feed from BK to hopback, through the rice hulls and then pump through your plate chiller back to the BK until you reach 140*F? From there, you drop it right into the fermenter?

Thanks!

Ryan

Just put the 5 gallon mesh bag inside your ale pail (secure with a couple clothes pins) and pour into the pail. Pull the mesh bag out, gently shaking to get all liquid out. Done.

Back