repitching champagne yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jourelemode

Reaction score
hey guys, i'm gonna pitch some lalvin ec 1118 into my brew that's stuck. How am i supposed to accomplish this? should I just pour it over the top or should I gently stir it in? i'm going to rehydrate them right now...

thanks!

alright, I didn't get a reply in time so I just stirred it in gently...when should I expect this to start working? and what should I expect from adding the champagne yeast?

Depending on your process and recipe, you should see some action. If you post details I can help you out more. It may be that you just mashed too high in which case you may not see much or any more action.

Your ABV should be low enough that the champagne yeast can get right to work. Sometimes if you pitch it directly into wort with an ABV over 10% it's too much for them unless you step it up in starters.

As far as your original question goes, either option is fine.

Just FYI - the champagne yeast will only metabolize simple sugars. If your beer has a lot of long-chain sugars, you may not see any change.

I guess it depends on the fermentability of the extract at this point. Some people have a hard time getting there extract brews to finish at a low enough FG, but 1.028 seems high even for that to me.

What temp do you have it at?

High mash temps cause long chain sugars. You're kind of at the mercy of your extract at this point, so RDWHAHB and ride this one out.

At those numbers I'd think even a properly hydrated Nottingham/US-05 would ferment that out.

Are you absolutely certain it's stuck (been stuck for two days or more)?
What kind of brew is it?
Any chance the problem is actually your hydrometer?
Have you done anything that might have killed the initial ferment (large temp swings)?

Here's the thing with fixing a stuck fermentation. If it is stuck because of a lack of nutrients or, more usually, oxygen, pitching more beer yeast is unlikely to help much. The champagne yeast can handle low nutrients, low oxygen, and high alcohol, but will only ferment small sugars. It will not metabolize longer chain sugars, but neither will most beer yeast (though beer yeast will ferment some of the maltotriose, which the champagne yeast will not).

It is possible that your fermentation is not stuck, but done (though 1.028 does seem high, unless you're brewing a barley wine or other big beer). I would recommend the following:
1) rack the beer to a another vessel - this will stir up the yeast and introduce some oxygen (you don't want too much though at this point as you do not want to overly oxidize the alcohol, which can cause off-flavors)
2) increase the temperature
3) wait a day or two to see if anything is going on...if not try pitching some properly rehydrated dry yeast

EDIT: just noticed you said it has been fermenting at 70-78F. First, this is really too warm, unless you're brewing a saison or something where high fermentation temps are desired. Second, I'm not sure now if warming the beer up per my suggestion above is feasible or even worth it at this point. I'd just rack and see what happens.

At those numbers I'd think even a properly hydrated Nottingham/US-05 would ferment that out.

What kind of brew is it?
Have you done anything that might have killed the initial ferment (large temp swings)?

its been stuck for a week...not sure about the hydrometer, i'll check it in water tomorrow....my temps were fine and its a belgian dubbel extract kit from williams

Here's the thing with fixing a stuck fermentation. If it is stuck because of a lack of nutrients or, more usually, oxygen, pitching more beer yeast is unlikely to help much. The champagne yeast can handle low nutrients, low oxygen, and high alcohol, but will only ferment small sugars. It will not metabolize longer chain sugars, but neither will most beer yeast (though beer yeast will ferment some of the maltotriose, which the champagne yeast will not).

It is possible that your fermentation is not stuck, but done (though 1.028 does seem high, unless you're brewing a barley wine or other big beer). I would recommend the following:
1) rack the beer to a another vessel - this will stir up the yeast and introduce some oxygen (you don't want too much though at this point as you do not want to overly oxidize the alcohol, which can cause off-flavors)
2) increase the temperature
3) wait a day or two to see if anything is going on...if not try pitching some properly rehydrated dry yeast

EDIT: just noticed you said it has been fermenting at 70-78F. First, this is really too warm, unless you're brewing a saison or something where high fermentation temps are desired. Second, I'm not sure now if warming the beer up per my suggestion above is feasible or even worth it at this point. I'd just rack and see what happens.

yeah, since i pitched the champagne yeast yesterday i'll give it 5 days...if it didn't do anything, i'll move it to a secondary...

If your gravity doesn't move I'd pick some amylase, it's not "nonstop" and won't destroy your beer. If it's too dry for your liking then you can always add some maltodextrine at bottling.

What kind of brew is it?

i just checked my hydrometer with the water and its perfectly at 1.000

If your gravity doesn't move I'd pick some amylase, it's not "nonstop" and won't destroy your beer. If it's too dry for your liking then you can always add some maltodextrine at bottling.

where can I get some of that amylase???

is this it???? http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?products_id=447

i was reading the description and it seems like it should be added to the wart when its still cooking...maybe i'm confused?

Back