controlling Ferm Temp bouncing up and down

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Razorbrew

Reaction score
Hi I am in primary with a house ale. It is getting pretty hot in Arkansas and while the ambient air temp is constantly 72, my ferm temp was about 76. I put the carboy in a water bath to bring it down and added a couple of frozen water bottles. This brought my temp down to 64 a little lower than I wanted it. Temp is rising again up to 68 (about where I want it). But soon it will be up to low 70's again.

I can add another frozen water bottle to bring the temp down.

Will this fluctuation have a negative affect on the taste. Or is the fluctuation of only a couple of degrees not that big of a deal.

Thanks!

temp will affect taste. as far as it being a negative affect only your taste buds can tell you. i may say its fine and you may say its crap. taste is in the tongue of the taster.

As long as temps stay between 64 and 70, and if they flucuate quickly back and forth, you should be fine. Remember that there is 5-6 gallons of wort and the thermal mass is fairly large. The temp of the wort won't swing as quickly or as dramatically. It should onlt change a few degrees and be right in the middle.

As long as temps stay between 64 and 70, and if they flucuate quickly back and forth, you should be fine. Remember that there is 5-6 gallons of wort and the thermal mass is fairly large. The temp of the wort won't swing as quickly or as dramatically. It should onlt change a few degrees and be right in the middle.

Air temp in the house is fairly constant at 72. The change in the temp of the wort is what is swinging up and down. Water/ice bath to cool. As Ice melts temp rises back up.

The fermentation was rolling at 76, but has mellowed at lower temps.

Back