5gal boil in keggle???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhys79

Reaction score
Ok, it seems as though most people are using keggles for 10gal boils. I'm only doing 5gal batches, but have the opportunity to but together a keggle for free (don't even start on the ethics rants, I tried to return the keg to the local distributor when it was given to me and they told me I could keep it). Well, I guess not quite free, I do have to buy hardware for it, but the keg and the welding are free.

Am I going to have any problems doing 5gal boils in a keggle? Also, where is the least expensive place to pick up a stainless pipe nipple and ball valve for the bulkhead, and what size should I use?

Thanks!!

Ohh yeah, almost forgot, how far up from the botton should I have the nipple put?

The keggle will work fine for a 5 gallon batch, you won't have to worry about boilovers.

As for fittings, I went to the local plumbing supply house for my stainless fittings. You'll want to get your fittings as close to the bottom of the keg as you can if you want to put a sight tube on the keg. As for a tap for your valve, it's not as critical because you'll use a siphon effect when draining and you'll have a drain tube to get as much liquid out as you can.

I boiled over my Octoberfest 5 gallon brew last week in a 15.5 gal keggle. It is possible! LOL They work great for all boils, and 99.9% of the time you cannot boil over a 5 gallon batch!

The problem you will face is in limiting yourself to a 5 gallon batch when you have a keggle. Because then you will realize that twice as much beer can be made in the same amount of time.

That would require buying another fermenter. I only have an ale pail and a carboy, and the carboy is dedicated to apfelwein. If it wasn't for the fact that SWMBO REALLY likes the apfelwein, she'd probably have killed me by now with all the brewing stuff I have sitting around...

I usually only make 5 gal batches and all I have is a 15.5 gallon keggle (I also mash in one) While it is nice to have the capacity when I do 10 gal batches, it works just fine for 5ers.. If you are going to do 5's mostly +1 on getting the sight glass as low as possible (mine doesn't show until 3.5 gallons)

I wouldn't say 'most' people make 10 gallon batches just because they have a keggle. I make 5 gallon batches in mine just fine. I do plan on making 10 gallon batches in the future though. Be forewarned, you can still get boilovers in a keggle.

Also, where is the least expensive place to pick up a stainless pipe nipple and ball valve for the bulkhead, and what size should I use?

A lot of people get them here: Bargain Fittings
FYI... you don't HAVE to get stainless. I got the Brass ones, pickled them, and they're fine too. You're going to need a good hole saw or step drill bit (and cutting oil!) to cut the hole.

Ohh yeah, almost forgot, how far up from the botton should I have the nipple put?

It doesn't really matter. If the bottom of the hole were, say, 1/2" above the top of the skirt you'd be fine. So, if you're hole is 7/8", your hole would be 1-3/8" on-center from the top of the skirt. You'll also need a plan for a dip-tube and/or filtering hops and hot/cold break.

Latest posts

Back